£1000 budget

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Hey Grumpy - you are quite right, Cube used to have a deal with Easton & nearly all bikes had Easton carbon forks + wheels, bars, stem & seatpost.

They have the finishing kit made for them now by another company.
Can't remember the name but it will come to me.

A few people have had issues with their wheels but I bought some as a 2nd set & found them fine (EA 50 AERO's).

I like to fit my own finishing kit inc saddle & knocked around half a kilo off the total weight.

3T Ergonova Team carbon bars ,
3T ARX Team stem,
3T Doric Team carbon seatpost.
Specialized Toupe Team saddle.
Schwalbe Ultremo tyres.

American Classic Aero 3 wheelset (although this saved nothing as supplied Ritchey's were very light).

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Syntace (Germany) now make Cubes finishing kit.

Respected apparently.

Don't know much about them other than some of their top end stuff is very light weight.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Syntace I think were quite big in the MTB scene a while ago, maybe still are. The Cube dealer actually mentioned this too me that its now all syntace gear. Anyway German engineering is a big plus for me unlike French which is just well........

Downward

Guru
Hi, I have a wishlist below - Any opinions ??

Lapierre Audacia 400 Cp £899
Cube Peloton Race £999
Cube Peloton Race 2013 £839.99
Giant Defy 1 £999
Trek Madone 2.1 £1000
Scott Speedster 20 £999
Cannondale 8 105 £999
Cube Agree GTC £899

Last edited:
OP
OP
Doyleyburger

Doyleyburger

Veteran
For £1000 is there really a better bike for the money than the Pro carbon planet x ?????
Was out with one on Sunday and was amazed it came with an ultegra groupset for that money

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
For £1000 is there really a better bike for the money than the Pro carbon planet x ?????
Was out with one on Sunday and was amazed it came with an ultegra groupset for that money

So everyone keeps saying unfortunately if buying on C2W which the majority do, you can add another £100+ onto that. You know you may get a better deal at your LBS!

Downward

Guru
Think ! Without trying I am going to see the Giant Defy 1 and the Cube Peleton Race.

On paper Cube seems to be specced better but it's all about the feel. Last time I wasn't too keen on the Giant Defy range but this was 4 years ago before I had ever ridden a road bike.

Downward

Guru
The Cube 2013 Peloton Race is hardly any different to the 2014 & the same can be said of the 2013 Defy 1 (if you can find one).

So the £160 saving could give you playing money for some light & fast rolling tyres when yours wear out or entry money to a few sportives etc.

Cycle Surgery have the Cube Agree for £874 currently

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
I have a 2012 Cube peloton race( commuter) and a 2013 Giant defy1.... the Giant is such a better ride for me. Sorry I don't know the technical terms, it just holds the road better and the feel seems better. Try them before you buy....and try lots of different bikes before you buy.....its fun :smile:

Downward

Guru
Tried the Cube Peloton Race for £879.99 but this years model comes with a triple and the Pro for £999 which is a compact.

Like the feel of the narrow handlebars but intrigued now with the Giant Defy 1

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Bars widths can be quite subjective, my new steed is 42cm same as my Lansgter, the Giant SCR2 which has been handed down to my son had wider bars and was strange at first but I did get used to them. On the Giant Defy 1, its a good bike and probably a good bet if you are not used to road bikes. Quite relaxed seating position compared to the more racier feel of the Cube. They are marketed to the Sportive type riding which seems the in thing at the moment.

Just to add on bars again, my current steed has shallow drops which I actually find quite comfortable first time I`ve ridden with them.

Downward

Guru
My Trek 1.5 isn't that comfortable - Feels like the Bars are a bit too wide so when on the hoods my arms are not straight if you know what I mean.
Still thinking is the Cube Pro is worth £120 more than the Race or could the £120 go on something else.

Top Bottom