£1000 budget

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Are they aero spokes ? They look quite big/fat in the picture . Lovely bike :thumbsup:

Went and had a look at this today at my LBS up in Dunfermline, in fact spent most of the day trailing round all my LBS in the area. The Cube was hands down much better specced than anything else I could find in the £1k bracket. Full 105, not even skimped on the brakes or chainset. Mavic Askium wheels as well, apparently they used to come with Easton wheels and had issues so they were ditched! The one I saw was in red white and blue and was not to my taste at all. Prefer it in the matt black with Red. Just wondering where the money is saved? Thinking the frame didn`t look quite as well finished off as some I had seen, quite chunky welds etc.( and only 5yr warranty ) also I`m sure this used to come with Easton finishing kit ? However quite a lot of bike for the money and its right up there on the very short list :biggrin: .

Last edited:

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
Went and had a look at this today at my LBS up in Dunfermline, in fact spent most of the day trailing round all my LBS in the area. The Cube was hands down much better specced than anything else I could find in the £1k bracket. Full 105, not even skimped on the brakes or chainset. Mavic Askium wheels as well, apparently they used to come with Easton wheels and had issues so they were ditched! The one I saw was in red white and blue and was not to my taste at all. Prefer it in the matt black with Red. Just wondering where the money is saved? Thinking the frame didn`t look quite as well finished off as some I had seen, quite chunky welds etc.( and only 5yr warranty ) also I`m sure this used to come with Easton finishing kit ? However quite a lot of bike for the money and its right up there on the very short list :biggrin: .

Had the same question to myself when searching, decided in the end I didn't care :smile:

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
just back in from first dry non windy ride on the Cube.......what a machine it is! averaging 15 mph over 32 miles at 16 stone is a result id never have achieved on the Boardman

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
kinda gone of the Dolan more the fact that I would be buying blind, think the Cube could be the one unless something else pops up with similar spec. Just seems like far too good a deal, with full 105 and nice wheels to boot. Could swap out the bars,stem and seatpost over time for something quite light. Swap the tyres for Mich Pro`s or similar and have quite light bike and even lighter still if you changed the wheels.

I`m with you as well, am no racing snake, bordering on 95-96kg so not huge amount to be gained going carbon at that price point.

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
You wouldn't be Dissapointed by the cube. I'm blown away still after over 100 miles on it now

mark william

i would go for a nice aluminium bike rather than a carbon bike because the carbon wont be that high quality on a £1000 bike so it wont ride very well and it probably wont be that light. but if you get a £1000 aluminium bike it will probably have a better group set on it and aluminium does ride quite nice.

Thomk

Guru
i would go for a nice aluminium bike rather than a carbon bike because the carbon wont be that high quality on a £1000 bike so it wont ride very well and it probably wont be that light. but if you get a £1000 aluminium bike it will probably have a better group set on it and aluminium does ride quite nice.
See post number 43?

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
See post number 43?

we know all about Planet X but would you say the carbon frame on the Planet X was as good as some of the more expensive brethren ? That really is the only question worth answering. There has to be difference, not all carbon frames are the same, hence the massive price differential.

vickster

Legendary Member
What warranty do they offer? I assume that the px frame is a generic mould out of china or similar

You could call and ask them for confirmation

Thomk

Guru
we know all about Planet X but would you say the carbon frame on the Planet X was as good as some of the more expensive brethren ? That really is the only question worth answering. There has to be difference, not all carbon frames are the same, hence the massive price differential.
I don't have the answers. Just pointing out that you can get a carbon frame bike lighter and with a better groupset for the same price. I suspect the frame is absolutely fine though. The Internet is not exactly replete with stories about broken px frames...

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
To be fair its not a bad deal but like alot of deals there are caveats along the way to bring it down to that price ( think cheapo chain-set,brakes and wheels ). Not convinced now that carbon fibre is must have at that price and as for weight we are talking less than 500-600g difference on similarly priced Alu bikes :smile: I could do with saving a hell of lot more than that :biggrin:

Top Bottom