£1000+ for a groupset and its only got 12 gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Jody

Jody

Stubborn git
But if you've got loads of money you could get this jockey wheel set - a snip at just under £400

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ceramicspeed-oversized-pulley-wheel-system/rp-prod143294

Makes the cassette look like a bargain :laugh:

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
The review says: The 12-speed chain caused real headaches for sram, but new processes allowed engineers to make it thinner, flatter and with smoother edges to reduce wear: the 12-speed chain caused real headaches for sram, but new processes allowed engineers to make it thinner, flatter and with smoother edges to reduce wear

Then just below that it says: The 12-speed chain caused real headaches for SRAM, but new processes allowed engineers to make it thinner, flatter and with smoother edges to reduce wear

Obviously caused real headaches for some copywriters and proofreaders as well.

Drago

Legendary Member
On the one hand it's a technical masterpiece.

On the other, I've never heard or read of an MTB'er wishing such a thing existed.

An answer to a question no one had asked, or another punch in the never ending cog-numbers arms race against Shimano? Who really cares either way?

simon.r

Person
I can see the advantages - weight and ease of use (sequential gearing).

It's for racers and rich early adopters, but it'll no doubt trickle down.

I know some CC'ers haven't got beyond downtube friction shifters and toe clips yet, but some of us like to see innovation and may even adopt some of it!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Maybe, but I'd sooner spend £150 on the groupset, £800 going on holiday and the rest I'd waste on Burgundy.
Plus - I don't need a 500% gear difference. My Brompton has 300% or so, and I take that touring. My tourer has gears from 81" down to 30", and that's a gear I can spin up to 30 mph going down a big hill, to one I can ride back up the big hill at walking speed. That's as much gear range as I'll ever need. An MTB cassette and rear mech, a gripshifter, a single chainset, brakes and levers. It's almost as simple as groupsets get.

Last edited:
Top Bottom