£1000+ for a groupset and its only got 12 gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Jody

Jody

Stubborn git
I can see the advantages - weight and ease of use (sequential gearing).

It's for racers and rich early adopters, but it'll no doubt trickle down.

I know some CC'ers haven't got beyond downtube friction shifters and toe clips yet, but some of us like to see innovation and may even adopt some of it!

I can see the advantages, uses and innovation but the cost is eye watering for what is essentialy one extra cog on a cassette.

Tim Hall

Photos of dark coloured things on a dark background may look artsy, but it's really tricky to work out what the hell you're looking at. The rear mech photo in particular is a good example of this.

OP
OP
Jody

Jody

Stubborn git
Photos of dark coloured things on a dark background may look artsy, but it's really tricky to work out what the hell you're looking at. The rear mech photo in particular is a good example of this.

Epsecailly when the black surface is reflective

screenman

Legendary Member
I would rather buy a double setup and go on holiday with the change. Is a few hundred grams worth £700+

Certainly not too me, by I have no doubt it will meet somebodies needs or desires.

See it this way, person A spends 6 weeks disposable income on buying a new bike, person B spends 6 weeks disposable income on a new bike. One spends £300 the other £3,000. Now obviously to some person B is a plonker for having too much disposable, odd when you think about it.

I can see the advantages, uses and innovation but the cost is eye watering for what is essentialy one extra cog on a cassette.

Thats weird A.F! Its much cheaper just to have another one at the front. Whats so taboo about chainrings? They are like allergens these days.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
My mountain bikes have God's own ratios. 24-36-46 at the front and 12-28 at the back. Can you get other configurations then?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
No no no. 39/17 on a 700C, for 62 inches. That's a gear ratio!
Singlespeed road bikes are God's own transport :biggrin:

OP
OP
Jody

Jody

Stubborn git
Thats weird A.F! Its much cheaper just to have another one at the front. Whats so taboo about chainrings? They are like allergens these days.

More choice, more sales, more "standards" and more obsolescence.

Give a few years and the next best thing will be 26ers, straight 1" head tubes, steel frames and triples :laugh:

Err no, the comparable XTR set with a double chainring is 100 squid more.

I'm currently running the 2016 11 speed version of this SRAM groupset and which is has been running fantastically. Not sure if I would swap out for this version as I don't need a 50 tooth cassette ring.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Such things exist because there is a small element for whom money is no object and they always have to have the most expensive.

Better still if it's twice the price of the next cheapest.

screenman

Legendary Member
Such things exist because there is a small element for whom money is no object and they always have to have the most expensive.

Better still if it's twice the price of the next cheapest.

I think it is for people who want it rather than the wealthy you write about.

MiK1138

Veteran
The review says: The 12-speed chain caused real headaches for sram, but new processes allowed engineers to make it thinner, flatter and with smoother edges to reduce wear: the 12-speed chain caused real headaches for sram, but new processes allowed engineers to make it thinner, flatter and with smoother edges to reduce wear

Then just below that it says: The 12-speed chain caused real headaches for SRAM, but new processes allowed engineers to make it thinner, flatter and with smoother edges to reduce wear

Obviously caused real headaches for some copywriters and proofreaders as well.
Maybe the Bike they where reviewing had a Triple up front....I'll get my coat

Top Bottom