£1000 road bike budget(used)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Yes I just looked again at it, I’ve added to my watch list. Don’t know anything at all about the manufacturer?

Can you tell me a bit about what I could expect from the Trek? Frame etc? How it would ride compared to my budget Boardman.

I know Trek have a long standing history.

And yes I’m after something comfortable but fast,not for racing, and with good build quality. Something I can do 40-50miles on comfortably

Again thanks for taking the time to educate me. I appreciate it.

Orro make quality bikes. I'd be surprised if the one @monkers has linked to goes for anything less than £1k.

Ultimately, only you will know what you're comfortable on. Trek make great bikes, Boardman make great bikes... The list goes on.

Personally, I favour Genesis and old Peugeots. Oh, and Bianchi.

monkers

Veteran
Yes I just looked again at it, I’ve added to my watch list. Don’t know anything at all about the manufacturer?

Can you tell me a bit about what I could expect from the Trek? Frame etc? How it would ride compared to my budget Boardman.

I know Trek have a long standing history.

And yes I’m after something comfortable but fast,not for racing, and with good build quality. Something I can do 40-50miles on comfortably

Again thanks for taking the time to educate me. I appreciate it.
Trek have an excellent reputation, especially when it comes to its no fuss warranty arrangements. Owners always say, never worry, Trek will look after you. The problem is that if you buy second hand - unlike cars the warranty is not transferrable.

Trek make excellent frames, some of the best out there. The Emonda Aluminium frame is beautifully engineered, the tubes are hydroformed so they are not gas pipe shapes or construction. The welds are finished so smoothly that you have to look carefully to see they are not carbon. Then there's the paint finish, another Trek speciality always top notch - but if you want chip resistance keep away from flip flop paint jobs they are soft and a swine to touch in.

The aluminium Emonda is one of the best. Afficianados praise the Cannondale CAAD13 very highly too. In truth I haven't ridden either, but I have heard owners in the club I'm a member of say very positive things about each of them.

The Emonda frameset comes in ALR, SL and SLR builds -the latter two are carbon, with SLR being the lightest and being very expensive. The real high end bikes are custom build under a scheme called Project 1.

Emonda geometry is identified by 'H' lettering. H1 is full race, H2 is more relaxed (but still sporty). The 2021 and 2022 Emonda SLs use H1.5.
That ALR6 will almost certainly be H2, but it's worth asking that question. My Emonda is a carbon H2. I wasn't crazy about the colour when I bought it being matt black, but the deal was excellent. It's surprising how you can change the appearance by adding tan wall tyres and just choosing a colour of bar tape that you like.

In my opinion then that Emonda will be a significant upgrade over you boardman. The bike is light enough to make it a fun bike to ride at about 8.5kg. In fact the ALR6 is lighter than the SL6 which is carbon - yes really!

Orro a relatively new company based in Ditchling in Sussex - the village is home to the famous Ditchling Hill climb event that Orro now sponsor. The local environment is something that Orro seem to talk about (a lot). They make carbon frames from two types of carbon. The better of which is termed STC (spread tow carbon). Club members have ridden each other's bikes and all agree that even for the same geometry the STC is such a superior ride - it's like letting 30psi out of your tyres different. The make two road bikes, the Gold which is the endurance / sportive bike, and the Venturi which is an aero / race bike. The pyro was the forerunner to the Gold. The frames are beautifully made and finished. I've not ridden a Pyro but my friend Simon absolutely swears by his and is resolved to never sell it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

I’ve messaged about the trek.

Its listed as “new (other)“ but says it’s done 2200kms Which is a little misleading in my opinion, also asked about geometry set up and whether delivery would be considered.

vickster

Legendary Member

Its listed as “new (other)“ but says it’s done 2200kms Which is a little misleading in my opinion, also asked about geometry set up and whether delivery would be considered.
They probably just ticked the wrong box, if they wanted to mislead they wouldn’t have said it’s done 2200km.
You should be able to get the geometry from the web, eg the Trek site or geometry geeks.
If I were the seller, that’s where I’d direct you for details :okay:

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

They probably just ticked the wrong box, if they wanted to mislead they wouldn’t have said it’s done 2200km.
You should be able to get the geometry from the web, eg the Trek site or geometry geeks.
If I were the seller, that’s where I’d direct you for details :okay:
Yes well I also want to see how much they know about the bike. Tells me a lot, Is it just me or are all your replies argumentitive, it seems that way

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes well I also want to see how much they know about the bike. Tells me a lot, Is it just me or are all your replies argumentitive, it seems that way
Not at all. I’ve bought and sold a fair few bikes and have given or been given such info myself :okay:
I wouldn‘t be able to give such info to a buyer beyond the size/ maybe TT length, my height and what the bike is made of. Anything more I‘d direct / be directed to Google/manufacturer site which is where the info should be.
That said, I’m not at all techie minded and nor might the seller be.
Ticking a wrong box on eBay is pretty easy to do!

Good luck with your search

monkers

Veteran

I've been back to the ad on ebay - the photographs show that it is an H2 geometry as I thought.

alr6.PNG

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

I've been back to the ad on ebay - the photographs show that it is an H2 geometry as I thought.

View attachment 637216
Perfect thanks!

I really like the look of it, albeit a little over what I want to spend.

What are your thoughts on the Defy?

monkers

Veteran
Perfect thanks!

I really like the look of it, albeit a little over what I want to spend.

What are your thoughts on the Defy?
I think that Giant make a pretty decent bike-they are after all the biggest manufacturer of bicycles in the world. My problem with Giant and Liv bikes is that truly shocking PR2 wheelset that they supply with the Defy bikes that you've linked to - they truly are awful. The wheels on that Emonda are not high end but a whole lot better than those PR2 nasty things.

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

I think that Giant make a pretty decent bike-they are after all the biggest manufacturer of bicycles in the world. My problem with Giant and Liv bikes is that truly shocking PR2 wheelset that they supply with the Defy bikes that you've linked to - they truly are awful. The wheels on that Emonda are not high end but a whole lot better than those PR2 nasty things.
What is the issue with the PR2…..

Trek have an excellent reputation, especially when it comes to its no fuss warranty arrangements. Owners always say, never worry, Trek will look after you. The problem is that if you buy second hand - unlike cars the warranty is not transferrable.

Trek make excellent frames, some of the best out there. The Emonda Aluminium frame is beautifully engineered, the tubes are hydroformed so they are not gas pipe shapes or construction. The welds are finished so smoothly that you have to look carefully to see they are not carbon. Then there's the paint finish, another Trek speciality always top notch - but if you want chip resistance keep away from flip flop paint jobs they are soft and a swine to touch in.

The aluminium Emonda is one of the best. Afficianados praise the Cannondale CAAD13 very highly too. In truth I haven't ridden either, but I have heard owners in the club I'm a member of say very positive things about each of them.

The Emonda frameset comes in ALR, SL and SLR builds -the latter two are carbon, with SLR being the lightest and being very expensive. The real high end bikes are custom build under a scheme called Project 1.

Emonda geometry is identified by 'H' lettering. H1 is full race, H2 is more relaxed (but still sporty). The 2021 and 2022 Emonda SLs use H1.5.
That ALR6 will almost certainly be H2, but it's worth asking that question. My Emonda is a carbon H2. I wasn't crazy about the colour when I bought it being matt black, but the deal was excellent. It's surprising how you can change the appearance by adding tan wall tyres and just choosing a colour of bar tape that you like.

In my opinion then that Emonda will be a significant upgrade over you boardman. The bike is light enough to make it a fun bike to ride at about 8.5kg. In fact the ALR6 is lighter than the SL6 which is carbon - yes really!

Orro a relatively new company based in Ditchling in Sussex - the village is home to the famous Ditchling Hill climb event that Orro now sponsor. The local environment is something that Orro seem to talk about (a lot). They make carbon frames from two types of carbon. The better of which is termed STC (spread tow carbon). Club members have ridden each other's bikes and all agree that even for the same geometry the STC is such a superior ride - it's like letting 30psi out of your tyres different. The make two road bikes, the Gold which is the endurance / sportive bike, and the Venturi which is an aero / race bike. The pyro was the forerunner to the Gold. The frames are beautifully made and finished. I've not ridden a Pyro but my friend Simon absolutely swears by his and is resolved to never sell it.
Trek don't actually make anything I've seen this discussed many times and there are no Trek factories except possibly their high end professional racing bikes. Their lower end carbon fibre road bikes have been made by Quest Composites and some of those have been very poor frames especially the accuracy of their bottom brackets which sadly are often out of tolerance. I'm not sure who makes aluminium frames for them but it likely varies by year and maybe price point. So I'm not sure how a comparison of Boardman vs Trek can be made without knowing which factories they use and what the quality level is but I've seen some shocking CF frames by Trek on Hambini and Luescher Technik.

In the past Giant made many Trek aluminium frames but in recent years they have become too expensive so many brands have moved to different factories. Many brands get their bikes assembled and finished in Taiwan to get the all important 'Made in Taiwan' sticker but the bare CF frames are coming in from Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, mainland China etc and then finished and painted in Taiwan. I would not assume a Trek frame is better than Boardman in engineering and manufacturing quality those would be dictated by the factory used not the importer brand. If you want to buy a bike made by an actual manufacturer that would be brands like Giant and Merida and then you can make an assessment on quality but importer brands make it as hard as possible to know which manufacturers they use in order to present themselves as manufacturers themselves.

I personally would not assume a Trek is better than a Boardman although I might assume a Giant is better than both a Trek and a Boardman.

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

Trek don't actually make anything I've seen this discussed many times and there are no Trek factories except possibly their high end professional racing bikes. Their lower end carbon fibre road bikes have been made by Quest Composites and some of those have been very poor frames especially the accuracy of their bottom brackets which sadly are often out of tolerance. I'm not sure who makes aluminium frames for them but it likely varies by year and maybe price point. So I'm not sure how a comparison of Boardman vs Trek can be made without knowing which factories they use and what the quality level is but I've seen some shocking CF frames by Trek on Hambini and Luescher Technik.

In the past Giant made many Trek aluminium frames but in recent years they have become too expensive so many brands have moved to different factories. Many brands get their bikes assembled and finished in Taiwan to get the all important 'Made in Taiwan' sticker but the bare CF frames are coming in from Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, mainland China etc and then finished and painted in Taiwan. I would not assume a Trek frame is better than Boardman in engineering and manufacturing quality those would be dictated by the factory used not the importer brand. If you want to buy a bike made by an actual manufacturer that would be brands like Giant and Merida and then you can make an assessment on quality but importer brands make it as hard as possible to know which manufacturers they use in order to present themselves as manufacturers themselves.

I personally would not assume a Trek is better than a Boardman although I might assume a Giant is better than both a Trek and a Boardman.
Thank you for your Input.

My commuter bike is a Giant, I have used it for work for over 15years without fault more or less.

Hence me wanting a defy or tcr

Top Bottom