£1000 road bike budget(used)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

monkers

Veteran
Trek don't actually make anything I've seen this discussed many times and there are no Trek factories except possibly their high end professional racing bikes. Their lower end carbon fibre road bikes have been made by Quest Composites and some of those have been very poor frames especially the accuracy of their bottom brackets which sadly are often out of tolerance. I'm not sure who makes aluminium frames for them but it likely varies by year and maybe price point. So I'm not sure how a comparison of Boardman vs Trek can be made without knowing which factories they use and what the quality level is but I've seen some shocking CF frames by Trek on Hambini and Luescher Technik.

In the past Giant made many Trek aluminium frames but in recent years they have become too expensive so many brands have moved to different factories. Many brands get their bikes assembled and finished in Taiwan to get the all important 'Made in Taiwan' sticker but the bare CF frames are coming in from Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, mainland China etc and then finished and painted in Taiwan. I would not assume a Trek frame is better than Boardman in engineering and manufacturing quality those would be dictated by the factory used not the importer brand. If you want to buy a bike made by an actual manufacturer that would be brands like Giant and Merida and then you can make an assessment on quality but importer brands make it as hard as possible to know which manufacturers they use in order to present themselves as manufacturers themselves.

I personally would not assume a Trek is better than a Boardman although I might assume a Giant is better than both a Trek and a Boardman.
From the outset I praised Trek's fuss free warranty arrangement and pointed out that buying second hand means the loss of that.

It's true that nearly all manufacturers have frames made at various plants all around the world, though my understanding is that Giant make all of their own.

Trek do assemble themselves though, so they do have the opportunity to check the quality of every frameset they sell. Sampling rates in all engineered products vary, but I have been told that Trek do quality inspect every frame before final assembly. I thought my own Emonda frameset would likely be made somewhere like Taiwan. I was able to check through a contact who told me that my frame was made by Focus in Germany. I've checked my frame out myself and the BB dimensions are all spot on. My frame needed a small repair, I paid for the frame to be checked for voids etc before spending on the repair- it was reported as excellent.

Otherwise I commented on finish, which in the case of my own, is excellent. The paint doesn't chip so easily as other bikes I've had.

I don't know where my Orro frame was made, but the STC carbon is sourced in the UK from Sigmatex. Orro say that for bike manufacture it is supplied uniquely to them.

I had already shown respect for Boardman bikes. I say the Emonda will be an upgrade because if I understand Frazer correctly his bike is more suited to mixed riding, road and gravel, whereas the Emonda is designed to more of a fast road bike. I've already said that the Emonda feels and is the fastest of my four bikes, it also feels the most rewarding of them on the road.

I understand that Basso is one manufacturer that make all of their frames in house in their own factory. Their top models look glorious, I could definitely aspire to one of their top models. I doubt Frazer will find one of those within his budget though, or me find one within mine.
😊

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

What are everyone’s thoughts on this ?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/...tent=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

It has everything I’m after,like I said previously,except the colour is a bit bright.

Surely a decent step up from Boardman?

I have messaged the seller and he’s sent more pictures which I have attached here. He has just purchased a new defy hence the sale.

He will take £850 for the bike without the extras which I don’t need anyway.

Attachments

• E9071E3E-06D3-4029-B6DA-ACE575C4D7D8.jpeg
    E9071E3E-06D3-4029-B6DA-ACE575C4D7D8.jpeg
    158.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 4F2B4AFF-2BE2-46BF-8E44-216686381EDA.jpeg
    4F2B4AFF-2BE2-46BF-8E44-216686381EDA.jpeg
    184.5 KB · Views: 8
  • D9D7766C-2DAD-4FE9-9343-86A0C0F8DE90.jpeg
    D9D7766C-2DAD-4FE9-9343-86A0C0F8DE90.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 7
  • B652E0D8-A0B3-4DE8-B343-34C31C3F04A5.jpeg
    B652E0D8-A0B3-4DE8-B343-34C31C3F04A5.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 6F0F7899-C3C2-4033-8072-68CC2921FD7B.jpeg
    6F0F7899-C3C2-4033-8072-68CC2921FD7B.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 66BB9D0B-6E4B-43CE-9803-64A115B490B1.jpeg
    66BB9D0B-6E4B-43CE-9803-64A115B490B1.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 145F4C31-2585-420D-84F1-18EFF1582333.jpeg
    145F4C31-2585-420D-84F1-18EFF1582333.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 0CC32889-A99A-4578-8CCC-410E2BA99EB5.jpeg
    0CC32889-A99A-4578-8CCC-410E2BA99EB5.jpeg
    156.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 4BF220C4-7B0C-4B6A-A7D0-37A91947B1B2.jpeg
    4BF220C4-7B0C-4B6A-A7D0-37A91947B1B2.jpeg
    128 KB · Views: 8
  • AD7300EF-A293-4876-B44C-9C2D83B29CB7.jpeg
    AD7300EF-A293-4876-B44C-9C2D83B29CB7.jpeg
    153.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
From the outset I praised Trek's fuss free warranty arrangement and pointed out that buying second hand means the loss of that.

It's true that nearly all manufacturers have frames made at various plants all around the world, though my understanding is that Giant make all of their own.

Trek do assemble themselves though, so they do have the opportunity to check the quality of every frameset they sell. Sampling rates in all engineered products vary, but I have been told that Trek do quality inspect every frame before final assembly. I thought my own Emonda frameset would likely be made somewhere like Taiwan. I was able to check through a contact who told me that my frame was made by Focus in Germany. I've checked my frame out myself and the BB dimensions are all spot on. My frame needed a small repair, I paid for the frame to be checked for voids etc before spending on the repair- it was reported as excellent.

Otherwise I commented on finish, which in the case of my own, is excellent. The paint doesn't chip so easily as other bikes I've had.

I don't know where my Orro frame was made, but the STC carbon is sourced in the UK from Sigmatex. Orro say that for bike manufacture it is supplied uniquely to them.

I had already shown respect for Boardman bikes. I say the Emonda will be an upgrade because if I understand Frazer correctly his bike is more suited to mixed riding, road and gravel, whereas the Emonda is designed to more of a fast road bike. I've already said that the Emonda feels and is the fastest of my four bikes, it also feels the most rewarding of them on the road.

I understand that Basso is one manufacturer that make all of their frames in house in their own factory. Their top models look glorious, I could definitely aspire to one of their top models. I doubt Frazer will find one of those within his budget though, or me find one within mine.
😊
I don't think Trek have any assembly plants although Focus might and could have some business relationship where they deal with some frames but the fact some of the Trek CF frames have been such poor quality on relatively expensive bikes to me means they literally come straight from the factory in Asia and then shipped to the Trek warehouses in each country. I mean Focus don't have any actual manufacturing factories but may have assembly plants but if all the frames and forks are bought from the same Asian factories before assembly in Germany lets say, all it really does it add to costs although admittedly they might be able to reduce tariffs this way for EU countries.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu6_VyfOxE8

Here is a image of CF frame production at Quest Composites which are mid-level CF manufacturer but to me the working conditions do not look clean and the woman in the foreground is not wearing her hat correctly. I feel these Trek CF frames would not meet the quality of the the earlier Trek CF frames made by Giant. Unless you do your research how would you know that Trek moved CF factories reducing quality a few years ago? Trek won't tell you. To most its just a Trek bike. I think strangely both Canyon and Trek originally had many frames made by Giant and both went to Quest Composites. Both brands are featured on the Quest Composite site. The image below is from the Quest Composite site. Personally I feel that image gives warning flags regarding quality but Quest were happy to use it on their site. People sitting on small tables with high levels of clutter and badly worn hats is not my idea of a good manufacturing environment. Only needs one skin particle to drop into the fibres and resin to create a cutting agent over time that will destroy the frame or forks at that point. I remember reading in a forum a Canyon CF bike which had a frame crack on the first ride which clearly showed Canyon were certainly not checking or testing all frames before despatch their claims were just marketing noise and completely untrue.

I would put the bike industry in the same bracket as the cosmetics or fashion industry its about trends and lifestyle rather than engineering. It's getting people to perceive high quality construction despite actually quite low cost construction. I think you have to be extremely skeptical of the bike industry much of their marketing terms are manipulative.

quest.jpg

monkers

Veteran
I don't think Trek have any assembly plants although Focus might and could have some business relationship where they deal with some frames but the fact some of the Trek CF frames have been such poor quality on relatively expensive bikes to me means they literally come straight from the factory in Asia and then shipped to the Trek warehouses in each country. I mean Focus don't have any actual manufacturing factories but may have assembly plants but if all the frames and forks are bought from the same Asian factories before assembly in Germany lets say, all it really does it add to costs although admittedly they might be able to reduce tariffs this way for EU countries.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu6_VyfOxE8

Here is a image of CF frame production at Quest Composites which are mid-level CF manufacturer but to me the working conditions do not look clean and the woman in the foreground is not wearing her hat correctly. I feel these Trek CF frames would not meet the quality of the the earlier Trek CF frames made by Giant. Unless you do your research how would you know that Trek moved CF factories reducing quality a few years ago? Trek won't tell you. To most its just a Trek bike. I think strangely both Canyon and Trek originally had many frames made by Giant and both went to Quest Composites. Both brands are featured on the Quest Composite site. The image below is from the Quest Composite site. Personally I feel that image gives warning flags regarding quality but Quest were happy to use it on their site. People sitting on small tables with high levels of clutter and badly worn hats is not my idea of a good manufacturing environment. Only needs one skin particle to drop into the fibres and resin to create a cutting agent over time that will destroy the frame or forks at that point. I remember reading in a forum a Canyon CF bike which had a frame crack on the first ride which clearly showed Canyon were certainly not checking or testing all frames before despatch their claims were just marketing noise and completely untrue.

I would put the bike industry in the same bracket as the cosmetics or fashion industry its about trends and lifestyle rather than engineering. It's getting people to perceive high quality construction despite actually quite low cost construction. I think you have to be extremely skeptical of the bike industry much of their marketing terms are manipulative.

View attachment 637266

I'm sorry but I'm not on this thread to either attack or defend the manufacturers. I am aware that when we buy a bike from one of the big makers we don't know the full provenance. I don't know of any brand that makes the whole product. It's the global economy and not restricted to bike makers. I've said that the only brand that I know of that designs its own frames, produces them in-house on site and makes for no other is Basso - but you may know of others.

This article about Quest may be of interest to those who wish to gain a bit of insight into who makes what.

https://inrng.com/2017/02/trek-canyon-quest-factory-oem/

I've said enough to Frazer for him to know that carbon frames are not infallible, they are more easily damaged, and frame repairs can be expensive. I have also drawn attention to the fact that bikes with carbon frames can have bottom bracket problems when they are press fit.

My advice, such as it is, was to buy the aluminium Emonda with the threaded bottom bracket for just those reasons as Frazer has said that he is operating on a budget, wants a bike with a decent ride, and has no interest in racing.

I happen to think the ALR6 is a frame that looks attractive and I know Trek paint finish to be very good and chip resistant other than those with flip flop paint jobs.

I haven't rubbished any other bike brand. Frankly I'm scratching my head wondering why you are taking time to make an issue of anything I've said.

My only agenda was to answer Frazer's questions that he addressed to me as well as I could with the bit of knowledge and experience that I have. I have filled that in a bit with what I have learnt from cycling friends. I have avoided marketing hype or reviews from product placement marketing.

You seem keen to offer some defence of Giant. I have no problem with that; though those PR2 wheels are utter crap. There are two sets of those in my garage - not sure why I've kept them - both sets failed within a week of use (from new) - both sets were replaced under warranty only to fail again with a month. Both sets have been replaced with Campagnolo Zondas which have been excellent. The standard wheels that came with my Emonda are still going well on another bike I have, an aluminium Specialized Allez. The Emonda is also on Zondas.

I just will hope that Frazer manages to buy a bike that satisfies him and serves him well with no nasty surprises.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/...tent=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

It has everything I’m after,like I said previously,except the colour is a bit bright.

I have messaged the seller and he’s sent more pictures which I have attached here. He has just purchased a new defy hence the sale.

Wouldn’t be my choice of colour (although it’s better than black :whistle:) but if it’s local, go take a look, have a little ride, check the size is right (give it a thorough check over, you’re not new to bikes after all) and then decide. You could could have a nice new (to you) bike for spring and summer :becool:
It’s the spec you want, close to you so you can give it a proper look over and ride, doesn’t look like you’ll get better for the money.

You could always respray it later or just let it get a bit dirty :laugh:

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

Wouldn’t be my choice of colour (although it’s better than black :whistle:) but if it’s local, go take a look, have a little ride, check the size is right (give it a thorough check over, you’re not new to bikes after all) and then decide. You could could have a nice new (to you) bike for spring and summer :becool:
It’s the spec you want, close to you so you can give it a proper look over and ride, doesn’t look like you’ll get better for the money.

You could always respray it later or just let it get a bit dirty :laugh:
I’m viewing bike later today.

monkers

Veteran

Ask a hundred different people the same question and get a hundred different answers. 😊

Make up your own mind about the colour and the look. Colours sometimes look more vivid in photographs than in real life.

What would I do? I'd buy it because I quite like the bike, am Ok with the price, and it's local enough. I'd wait to see if the colour scheme grows on me. If it doesn't I'd probably whip the front forks off (that's an easy job), and spray the forks gloss black with a rattle can and top coat with some kind of tough clear coating.

I'd definitely put those PR2 wheels on ebay if serviceable or otherwise take them to the tip. I'd buy a new wheel set for it, maybe Fulcrum racing 5s if I want the lightest bang for my buck or Campag Sciroccos for a mix of lightness and a bit of aero. Either will cost about £225 and are better wheel sets that come with most bikes at this price point. That could also tone down that look. If I could still manage to spend another £75 I'd put some tan walls on it, maybe some nice Conti 5000s. Then I'd have spent about about £1150 and would feel good about spending many happy hours on the bike. 😊

Alex321

Veteran
Trek don't actually make anything I've seen this discussed many times and there are no Trek factories except possibly their high end professional racing bikes.
Trek would very much disagree with you here.

Their lower end carbon fibre road bikes have been made by Quest Composites and some of those have been very poor frames especially the accuracy of their bottom brackets which sadly are often out of tolerance. I'm not sure who makes aluminium frames for them but it likely varies by year and maybe price point. So I'm not sure how a comparison of Boardman vs Trek can be made without knowing which factories they use and what the quality level is but I've seen some shocking CF frames by Trek on Hambini and Luescher Technik.

You seem to believe those two places know everything, while it is clear that an awful lot of what comes out of them is jus over-sensationalised or even complete rubbish.

You keep on about how most bikes (according to them) are rubbish, when real life proves very much the opposite.

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

SOLD !!!!!!!

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

Yes it’s mine!

I got there in the end!

I have many questions!

Firstly the tyres….keep or go back to tubes?

Attachments

• BB6F4787-7C33-4E57-8228-8CA0E7B02780.jpeg
    BB6F4787-7C33-4E57-8228-8CA0E7B02780.jpeg
    137.3 KB · Views: 9
  • A1D1AC18-925C-4357-8CB2-85C200B9752A.jpeg
    A1D1AC18-925C-4357-8CB2-85C200B9752A.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 8
  • F818F1D1-703D-4AF2-8969-FDF5CFA68DD1.jpeg
    F818F1D1-703D-4AF2-8969-FDF5CFA68DD1.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 8
  • CA9BA611-DBEC-40D5-B1F7-ECDC5826B5A1.jpeg
    CA9BA611-DBEC-40D5-B1F7-ECDC5826B5A1.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 9
  • C65DD4DF-1416-47B0-B423-E52134A37FFB.jpeg
    C65DD4DF-1416-47B0-B423-E52134A37FFB.jpeg
    209.8 KB · Views: 9
  • BAA6ECDB-CF36-43EF-93ED-DB45B794EACC.jpeg
    BAA6ECDB-CF36-43EF-93ED-DB45B794EACC.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 10
  • CC2B7CC9-AB5B-4E65-8877-DAB9FAA56CDF.jpeg
    CC2B7CC9-AB5B-4E65-8877-DAB9FAA56CDF.jpeg
    213.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 850C5980-397B-4179-BB2F-A513A7DA217C.jpeg
    850C5980-397B-4179-BB2F-A513A7DA217C.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 9

si_c

Guru
They are tubeless.
That scares me a little!
No need to be - only thing to keep in mind is when the sealant was last topped up, tends to go dry after about six months so needs more adding.

90% of punctures are fixed with sealant - again if you get a few top it up, other than that don't worry about it, maybe add a few tubeless plugs to your ride kit. You can put tubes in any time you want.

Top Bottom