£1000 road bike budget(used)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

monkers

Veteran
What bike would you suggest I buy that would be a nice jump up in quality
I'll say again that Trek Emonda that I linked to for £1400 is an excellent bike. It looks like new, has an excellent aluminium frame set meaning it's a safer buy, and it comes with a threaded BB. It has full Ultegra and a reliable wheelset that will last long enough until you choose to upgrade them.

Not only that but Vickster will approve of it as it's not black! :laugh:

What do you think of that Cannondale Synapse for £1000?

monkers

Veteran

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

@monkers i really appreciate you taking the time to contribute some great options. Thank you.
You have opened my eyes to what else is available out there other than Giant Defy and TCRs.

Firstly the Cervelo is not for me, not keen on it but I’m sure it is a wonderful bike. I’m not at all experienced in what bike makes are better than others etc so I bow to your superior knowledge.

The Synapse i don’t feel is much of an upgrade from my Boardman? It certainly looks in good condition but the only real difference is the 105 groupset.

The Trek….I was under the impression I would pay more for a carbon frame as opposed to aluminium? Seems a lot of money for only really the groupset upgrade and hydraulic disk brakes from the Boardman? Or will the frame be a lot better to ride as opposed to my Boardman?

I refer to @cougie uk post #117 and it is definitely a very good point, hence why I have said I wanted the following on my next bike

Carbon Frame
Hydraulic disk brakes
105 or better groupset

Giant Defy or TCR provide all the above and I know they are decent quality bikes. That’s my thinking anyway?!

I feel all this would give me quite a good improvement over my current Boardman, don’t get me wrong it is absolutely fit for my purpose and I enjoy riding it, but I wanted to upgrade as a treat to myself

Please correct/educate me anyone who wishes too!

Thanks

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
@monkers i really appreciate you taking the time to contribute some great options. Thank you.
You have opened my eyes to what else is available out there other than Giant Defy and TCRs.

Firstly the Cervelo is not for me, not keen on it but I’m sure it is a wonderful bike. I’m not at all experienced in what bike makes are better than others etc so I bow to your superior knowledge.

The Synapse i don’t feel is much of an upgrade from my Boardman? It certainly looks in good condition but the only real difference is the 105 groupset.

The Trek….I was under the impression I would pay more for a carbon frame as opposed to aluminium? Seems a lot of money for only really the groupset upgrade and hydraulic disk brakes from the Boardman? Or will the frame be a lot better to ride as opposed to my Boardman?

I refer to @cougie uk post #117 and it is definitely a very good point, hence why I have said I wanted the following on my next bike

Carbon Frame
Hydraulic disk brakes
105 or better groupset

Giant Defy or TCR provide all the above and I know they are decent quality bikes. That’s my thinking anyway?!

I feel all this would give me quite a good improvement over my current Boardman, don’t get me wrong it is absolutely fit for my purpose and I enjoy riding it, but I wanted to upgrade as a treat to myself

Thanks
I wouldn't get too fixated on a carbon frame. They are nice, but a good aluminium frame will still be better then the Boardman. Boardman bikes are excellent value for money, but there is no getting away from the fact they are lower end frames.

And the better groupset and hydraulic brakes will also make a noticeable difference.

Thing is, you simply can't get a reasonable quality new bike with carbon frame for your budget, and you never know how it has been treated with 2nd hand - which can matter more with carbon, as damage is more likely to be invisible than with metal.

vickster

Legendary Member

Carbon Frame
Hydraulic disk brakes
105 or better groupset

Thanks
You’re going to really struggle for a grand, or even £1500…as you have found since starting this thread a month ago.
It may be out there but you’ll likely need to be prepared to travel or take a very big punt unseen on used carbon frameset

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

I wouldn't get too fixated on a carbon frame. They are nice, but a good aluminium frame will still be better then the Boardman. Boardman bikes are excellent value for money, but there is no getting away from the fact they are lower end frames.

And the better groupset and hydraulic brakes will also make a noticeable difference.

Thing is, you simply can't get a reasonable quality new bike with carbon frame for your budget, and you never know how it has been treated with 2nd hand - which can matter more with carbon, as damage is more likely to be invisible than with metal.
Thanks for the info.

I would have presumed a Trek frame to be better quality than a boardman, how does this transfer to the rider? What makes it a better frame to ride?

monkers

Veteran

Carbon Frame
Hydraulic disk brakes
105 or better groupset

Thanks
You are welcome. Bike ownership is a very subjective and individual thing. Some people won't ride anything other than steel, for other it's titanium, and others carbon. One of the most long running arguments is with braking systems. In this respect it's not much different to buying a car. Actually this is quite a good analogy I find - that is saying the type of car you would choose to drive on a Sunday drive out if you were just out on your own.

Otherwise you'll find that people can only really give advice based on what they own and have owned unless they work in the industry.
It sounds from what you say that you are not looking for an out and out race bike, but something more comfortable with a useful turn of speed. I've never ridden a Synapse but those who have them swear by them as being well-made and comfortable.

There's no hard and fast rules with frame materials other than it is a good predictor of weight and goes a little way to predicting frame stiffness and ride quality, but there are no absolutes. I have two carbon bikes, one rides rather more plushly than the other. Weight affects acceleration and hill climbing but not flat riding performance so much.

Out of my bikes, I know when I'm on the steel one, it is harder work due to the weight. The aluminium one rides well enough, is pretty light and rides well enough. The carbon Emonda is the lightest and fastest. It's the bike I cherish the most, while the carbon Orro Gold STC is the most comfortable and my choice if riding more than 30 miles in one ride.

The Emonda had the chain off while I was climbing a hill under power (strange circumstances). I've just got it back from the carbon repair centre - £370 for a small repair. If you are working to a budget, want something light, fast, and enjoyable without the fragility of carbon, you'll probably better off looking to aluminium.

105 is a really good groupset, but Tiagra also works very well. Ultegra is that bit slicker than 105, but the difference isn't night and day.

Rim brakes are absolutely good enough for dry riding; if you intend to be a fair weather cyclist and happy to just slow down if you get caught in a shower, then rim brakes are just fine.

I wouldn't buy a bike that I don't like the look of, but some people just see a bike as a tool and things like colour just don't matter to them.

Ultimately your budget means that you are likely to have to compromise somewhere.

The Cube Attain is another bike you could put on your shopping list. The cheaper versions are aluminium and the more expensive ones are carbon.

The variations and permutations are endless.

Lastly Boardman are a brand I respect, you could do much worse than buy another. They can be difficult to hunt down via Halfords, so one of the best places to look for one are on the TREDZ website.

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

You’re going to really struggle for a grand, or even £1500…as you have found since starting this thread a month ago.
It may be out there but you’ll likely need to be prepared to travel or take a very big punt unseen on used carbon frameset
As I’ve said a few times, I’m in no rush, I’m learning as I go.
I‘m enjoying the process and also still enjoying using my Boardman until I’ve got what I really want. If it takes 6 months then I’m ok with that

vickster

Legendary Member
As I’ve said a few times, I’m in no rush, I’m learning as I go.
I‘m enjoying the process and also still enjoying using my Boardman until I’ve got what I really want. If it takes 6 months then I’m ok with that
Have you put summer tyres on the Boardman? A cheap way to liven it up

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

You are welcome. Bike ownership is a very subjective and individual thing. Some people won't ride anything other than steel, for other it's titanium, and others carbon. One of the most long running arguments is with braking systems. In this respect it's not much different to buying a car. Actually this is quite a good analogy I find - that is saying the type of car you would choose to drive on a Sunday drive out if you were just out on your own.

Otherwise you'll find that people can only really give advice based on what they own and have owned unless they work in the industry.
It sounds from what you say that you are not looking for an out and out race bike, but something more comfortable with a useful turn of speed. I've never ridden a Synapse but those who have them swear by them as being well-made and comfortable.

There's no hard and fast rules with frame materials other than it is a good predictor of weight and goes a little way to predicting frame stiffness and ride quality, but there are no absolutes. I have two carbon bikes, one rides rather more plushly than the other. Weight affects acceleration and hill climbing but not flat riding performance so much.

Out of my bikes, I know when I'm on the steel one, it is harder work due to the weight. The aluminium one rides well enough, is pretty light and rides well enough. The carbon Emonda is the lightest and fastest. It's the bike I cherish the most, while the carbon Orro Gold STC is the most comfortable and my choice if riding more than 30 miles in one ride.

The Emonda had the chain off while I was climbing a hill under power (strange circumstances). I've just got it back from the carbon repair centre - £370 for a small repair. If you are working to a budget, want something light, fast, and enjoyable without the fragility of carbon, you'll probably better off looking to aluminium.

105 is a really good groupset, but Tiagra also works very well. Ultegra is that bit slicker than 105, but the difference isn't night and day.

Rim brakes are absolutely good enough for dry riding; if you intend to be a fair weather cyclist and happy to just slow down if you get caught in a shower, then rim brakes are just fine.

I wouldn't buy a bike that I don't like the look of, but some people just see a bike as a tool and things like colour just don't matter to them.

Ultimately your budget means that you are likely to have to compromise somewhere.

The Cube Attain is another bike you could put on your shopping list. The cheaper versions are aluminium and the more expensive ones are carbon.

The variations and permutations are endless.

Lastly Boardman are a brand I respect, you could do much worse than buy another. They can be difficult to hunt down via Halfords, so one of the best places to look for one are on the TREDZ website.
I had a giant rapid 1 which had tiagra groupset and hydraulic disk brakes, I really loved the brakes hence why I would like another set!

monkers

Veteran
OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

Yes I just looked again at it, I’ve added to my watch list. Don’t know anything at all about the manufacturer?

Can you tell me a bit about what I could expect from the Trek? Frame etc? How it would ride compared to my budget Boardman.

I know Trek have a long standing history.

And yes I’m after something comfortable but fast,not for racing, and with good build quality. Something I can do 40-50miles on comfortably

Again thanks for taking the time to educate me. I appreciate it.

Last edited:

monkers

Veteran
Yes I just looked again at it, I’ve added to my watch list. Don’t know anything at all about the manufacturer?

Can you tell me a bit about what I could expect from the Trek? Frame etc? How it would ride compared to my budget Boardman.

I know Trek have a long standing history.

And yes I’m after something comfortable but fast,not for racing, and with good build quality. Something I can do 40-50miles on comfortably

Again thanks for taking the time to educate me. I appreciate it.

Thanks. :rolleyes:

I'll answer your Qs in a tick. I was just looking to see what else you could consider. How about a brand new bike with maker's warranty etc - made in Holland - carbon frame & fork - hydro disks - Tiagra - £1147 delivered !?

Top Bottom