£1000 Road bike? hmmm....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'd donate it to this place...

Screenshot 2014-03-27 08.13.40.png

vickster

Legendary Member
But at least designed, marketed, sold in the UK. They are not a big manufacturer, more so in mountain bikes, but new to roadbikes

I see many more ribble, px bikes, rarely see another Whyte

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
But at least designed, marketed, sold in the UK. They are not a big manufacturer, more so in mountain bikes, but new to roadbikes

I see many more ribble, px bikes, rarely see another Whyte
I guess it boils down to how you look at things . When looking at road bikes I looked at them the same way as I do in business . I didn't want a company that bought in all the components and assembled a bike badged as thier own . I wanted the company that made the bike and any bought in components would be the best at a price point because they had the buying power to put the best on the bikes .
That's just my way of thinking and not a factual statement :thumbsup:

vickster

Legendary Member
That's partly true but look at specialized and trek, huge but don't seem to pass on that buying power to the consumer in terms of spec and componentry, they may offer lifetime warranties on their frames but only a minority of people, like any warranty, will claim and I expect the small print is quite tight on what is covered.

Specialized also control their prices extremely tightly, you won't find a shop selling cheaper and with trek you can only buy in store, not online (used to be so, may have changed)

I prefer not to pay more to fund a company's marketing and sponsorship budget...and legal expenses pursuing one man band shops in Canada! :wacko:

Giant do a bit more but that's because apparently they only refresh their frame range very 4 or 5 years, so spend far less on R&D (that from a giant seller)

All manufacturers buy components and then put them together, the difference is giant make their own frames, and then sell to others. I guess bikes is one area where I have got a bit patriotic, can't do it much elsewhere (for things I would buy anyhow)

I guess I like something different too, I don't want to have park my bike next to an identical one

With @jefmcg it was fine as she has red tyres and tape and more mud to distinguish!

Fubar

Guru
Noticed this latest carbon offering from Edinburgh Bike Co-op's Revolution brand last night:

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/revolution-wraith-14?bct=browse/bicycles/road-bikes

Not saying you should buy it, not saying anyone should (before everyone jumps on my back...) but I would probably investigate it as an option if carbon was something you wanted.

Top Bottom