£1500 for a bike, Which One?????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Atyl1972

OK OK, need some help guys, at the moment i have a budget of £1500 ( no shoot, as the title says it all ) am leaning very very much towards the cubes with the excellent components they offer at this price, but would like to see what some of you guys think, I'm 5'9" and weigh 222lbs

please let me know, preferably with some photo links added in guys

many thanks

zexel

Veteran
I think you should buy a bike that you like, not what I like. :thumbsup:

You should know that black bikes are the slowest and white/red bikes are the fastest.

(Edit. You can't buy a bad bike for £1500)

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Edit. You can't buy a bad bike for £1500

You can if you really really want.... I've got one in the shed you can have for £1500. :rolleyes:

odessouky

i just bought a SCOTT CR1 Comp compact for £1449 from Evans, about a month ago.

Was about to go for the internet options with better components etc, but the SCOTT carbon frame was highly recommended.

You can ALWAYS upgrade components, but I think a good frame is important to start with.

I can't recommend it enough

OP
OP
A

Atyl1972

oh never, i always thought the blue were the fastest
I think you should buy a bike that you like, not what I like. :thumbsup:

You should know that black bikes are the slowest and white/red bikes are the fastest.

(Edit. You can't buy a bad bike for £1500)

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
What type of riding do you want to do? That is the most important question to answer. There is a great thread here to help you on your way :smile:

As others have said you will be hard pressed to find a bad £1.5k bike but you could easily get the wrong £1.5k bike :smile:
OK OK, need some help guys, at the moment i have a budget of £1500 ( no shoot, as the title says it all ) am leaning very very much towards the cubes with the excellent components they offer at this price, but would like to see what some of you guys think, I'm 5'9" and weigh 222lbs

please let me know, preferably with some photo links added in guys

many thanks

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I'll agree with that :biggrin:

OP
OP
A

Atyl1972

well i want the bike purely for fitness and fun riding with my daughter and the intentions to ride some sportive when fitness is better, and the kind of ride you guys had the other day interests me also, commuting is in 3rd order so not that important as i can only commute on bike at weekends hence my questions about the taff trail, which reminds me spoke to a guy at cyclopedia and he stated that a road bike is not suitable for the taff trail, or certain parts anyway, so he mentioned to me about a old road going from ponty to Cardiff past taffs well, not sure if you're familiar with that route, but yeah, fitness and fun mainly but have set on a road bike especially the cubes....thanks angel..:thumbsup:
What type of riding do you want to do? That is the most important question to answer. There is a great thread here to help you on your way :smile:

As others have said you will be hard pressed to find a bad £1.5k bike but you could easily get the wrong £1.5k bike :smile:

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I am familair with the old A470 section yes. It is a pretty quite road and fine for road bikes. Maybe you should look at a tourer. I have seen loads of them ride the Taff Trail (in good time as well) or a Hybrid (Taff Trail = no problems at all). Thinking about it for the money you could get two bikes one road and one off road and end up with them both being great machines :smile:

well i want the bike purely for fitness and fun riding with my daughter and the intentions to ride some sportive when fitness is better, and the kind of ride you guys had the other day interests me also, commuting is in 3rd order so not that important as i can only commute on bike at weekends hence my questions about the taff trail, which reminds me spoke to a guy at cyclopedia and he stated that a road bike is not suitable for the taff trail, or certain parts anyway, so he mentioned to me about a old road going from ponty to Cardiff past taffs well, not sure if you're familiar with that route, but yeah, fitness and fun mainly but have set on a road bike especially the cubes....thanks angel..:thumbsup:

OP
OP
A

Atyl1972

i know i was debating this last night TBH, i don't know though man i really like the cube carbon which is £1500, but i do have a cyclescheme voucher for £500 to help me on my way and have budgeted maybe £1500 on top as i want a bike to last with really good groupset and in fairness cube are using ultegra on their bikes at this price range, so yes i could add £1000 to voucher and get a cracking road bike, and then spend £500 on a very decent hybrid, not a MTB fan as having 2 stolen has totally put me off, but i now have a Asgard metal storage shed to protect my future investment, where do you live angel?
I am familiar with the old A470 section yes. It is a pretty quite road and fine for road bikes. Maybe you should look at a tourer. I have seen loads of them ride the Taff Trail (in good time as well) or a Hybrid (Taff Trail = no problems at all). Thinking about it for the money you could get two bikes one road and one off road and end up with them both being great machines :smile:

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
PM'd you :smile:
i know i was debating this last night TBH, i don't know though man i really like the cube carbon which is £1500, but i do have a cyclescheme voucher for £500 to help me on my way and have budgeted maybe £1500 on top as i want a bike to last with really good groupset and in fairness cube are using ultegra on their bikes at this price range, so yes i could add £1000 to voucher and get a cracking road bike, and then spend £500 on a very decent hybrid, not a MTB fan as having 2 stolen has totally put me off, but i now have a Asgard metal storage shed to protect my future investment, where do you live angel?

Top Bottom