£1k on a Pram

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
Actually mine used to go around muddy fields in post industrial south Yorkshire, and get transported in the back of a thousand pound Fiat.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Yup, £1000 of sterling coins on a Pram.

When you have no money, no house etc.

Had a chat with my Sister in Law earlier and she mentioned her daughter and boyfriend had got a £1k pram for their kid (early 20's) whilst living at her house. This is the one with a Focus ST. So living off mum, who is struggling, and you have a Focus ST and a £1k pram.... good god. They didn't contribute either to the house costs.... or food....

My niece has just moved out to a 1 bed flat with boyfriend..

Who buys a £1k pram when you aren't loaded ????? I see this going bad.

No different to people with not much money owning iPhones and trendy clothes etc.

It's their money and it's their choice.

Personally I'd say they could've made a better choice with their cash but a) it's now't to do with me and b) it's a big moment in their lives and if it makes them happy then so be it.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
When you add in the fact that they weren't contributing to the household bills, eating all the food, it's taking the michael. And the fact the Utility bills went through the roof as the washer dryer was on all the time. It's rubbing my sister in law's face in it.

stephec

Legendary Member
Almost eighteen years ago we paid around £500 for a pram, so I suppose £1000 isn't uncommon if it's quality.

When you add in the fact that they weren't contributing to the household bills, eating all the food, it's taking the michael. And the fact the Utility bills went through the roof as the washer dryer was on all the time. It's rubbing my sister in law's face in it.

I agree with you ... but.. what does your sister in law think about it , does she feel as though they are taking the p!ss or is she ok with it, Theres only her can do anything about it

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I agree with you ... but.. what does your sister in law think about it , does she feel as though they are taking the p!ss or is she ok with it, Theres only her can do anything about it

She's mighty angry about it. She's glad they have moved out as they were both taking the michael. She raised the issue a few times, but apparently it ended in a row. If you are earning, but not contributing anything that's a big no no in my books. They weren't even helping with cleaning or cooking. If she hadn't made anything - e.g. working late, they'd be getting in take away's every night.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
We lived in a council house, all 8 of us. My mum and dad moved there in 1964 (my mum still lives in it). These were the days when it was not imperative to buy your own home, and when "council house" wasn't a dirty word spouted by frothing little Englanders. My mum didn't work but my dad was in well-paid blue collar work (well, up until the 1980's, but I digress)

Anyway, my mum recently showed me the receipt for the pram she bought for me before I was born, a Silver Cross, no less. The current day Sterling equivalent of the 1966 cost is around £3000. Bought with a deposit, and two further payments.

Good job Jeremy Kyle and his self righteous, hysterical, hypocritical nonsense wasn't about then, eh?

Sandra6

Veteran
That's how much things cost these days. They could have been smarter - bought a 500 nicker pram, and used the rest for other stuff. But they are in their early twenties!

Hey, i'm having kids in my late forties. I wish i had done it in my twenties. Good luck to them!
Or they could've been smarter still and bought a pram for a lot less and used the change for a rental deposit.
Babies are only as expensive as you make them and there are plenty of decent prams on the market for well under £500.

Julia9054

Guru
Hormones don't exactly help you think straight. I can remember being in floods of tears when pregnant with my eldest because i couldn't get hold of a particular type of changing table i wanted.
My brain knew how ridiculous i was being but that didn't stop me!
I can also remember my Mum offering to buy the pram and then going a bit pale when we found out how much they cost!

screenman

Legendary Member
We had a second hand silver cross given to us for our first, my wife pushed that thing for hours everyday just to stay away from the hostel and the the halfway hovel whilst I was at work. She eventually wore the tyre's to the metal, something I have never seen since.

perplexed

Guru
Surely one of these is all that's required

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_rUQa7MQ9-MN3HE0ITJlMpf8nye20hm6Yieclr82lV4fY_zhmuw.jpg

Top Bottom