£20 purchase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Batgirl

In Disguise!
for £20 I wasn't expecting a lot, and I know I didn't get it but have enjoyed 5 hours tidying up and bonding with my bike.
She's had a cleanup on her chain, brakes and tyres pumped up - holding their own nicely so far. also applied a dollop of elbow grease to the wheels which obviously aren't pristine but are a lot nicer looking than they were.

This is only ever intended to be a cheap reuse / recycle job so please go gentle. My next mission is to take her to flat ground (she's gonna live at my horses yard for a while) to get riding! It's been a long time and I'm hoping to lose weight / gain fitness with her and possibly use her to ride to and from the train station from end of Sept or whenever I'm up to the challenge.

So far I've bought some WD40, a pump, 2 handle bar covers (for the up angled ones - don't know the name of them) and a puncture repair kit.. not too bad on the expense side of things.

Wheels before:
10604071_690643561021507_4955073127917168822_o_zps3a1b8ed3.jpg

Bike after tidy up
10630650_690643424354854_5342010032286916727_o_zpsbecfbe86.jpg

After doing the first wheel my OH asked me what I'd used on them.. steel wool and elbow grease was all I used though will put some car polish on them to finish them off I think just to try and delay the rusting again. The chrome isn't perfect by any means but pleased she's more presentable.

D

Deleted member 23692

Good use of £20 and 5 hours fettling...

..and as it's the same colour as fruit salad sweets, what's not to like? ;)

jack smith

Veteran
Make sure you dont use the wd40 anywhere near the brakes or they will stop working and squeak like hell im huessing youve already put abit on the rim so if you jave give the, a really good wipe down :smile:

OP
OP
Batgirl

Batgirl

In Disguise!
Jack Smith - Thanks, No not put the WD40 on the rims but did put it on the fixings of the brakes.. will give it a good clean off - thanks for the heads up I didn't know that. (mental note taken).

I used heavier grease for the bike chain so that should be ok. Is WD40 ok for that later on?

Ffoeg - Thanks :smile: I do believe you've just named my bike! :bicycle:I was thinking something girlie - i'm not overly girlie but clearly my bike is. I'm pleased with the bargain / reuse recycle aspect. I'd forgotten how much I like tinkering too.. will have to learn how to strip her down one day. I used to have motorbikes before cars and always enjoyed working on them.

HovR

Über Member
Nice work getting an old bike back on the road!

I used heavier grease for the bike chain so that should be ok. Is WD40 ok for that later on?

WD40 isn't ideal for the chain as it's so thin it'll wash off straight away. Trying to keep on a budget, chainsaw bar oil is a good alternative. A bit of engine or gearbox oil will also do the trick, but with any of these you'll have to make sure to wipe down the drive-chain with an old rag regularly to stop dirt accumulating.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Probably wasn't much more than twenty quid new, but should be serviceable enough if sorted. Just be aware the brakes won't work too well on those chrome rims anyway but with car polish!...... and In the wet they wont work at all!(even without the polish). You can buy special brake blocks to counter this though. Good luck.

OP
OP
Batgirl

Batgirl

In Disguise!
Thanks all and for the tips / hints.

Cycleops - haha thanks - not sure what hey cost new but lets face it the price of things is never what they're worth.
they are the standard blocks that came with the bike - which was chrome wheeled would that not have been suffice for stopping? I can find out the name on them?

I'll leave all polish off the wheels and just remember the elbow grease for future reference. Better safe than sorry.

HovR - thanks :smile: I'm a bit of a reuse recycle type and wanted to see how I get on riding again after such a long gap so made sense to buy old rather than new. will remember that about the dirt on the chain, and keep up with the thicker oil too. WD40 may have been a waste! :tongue: lesson learnt though.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Happy riding and take car in the wet after putting car polish on your rims. You might not stop :eek:
A good buy for £20. You'll be bitten by the cycling bug in no time at all and wondering what next to buy your Fruit Salad bike :thumbsup:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I found this quote regarding Koop Stop Supra brake pads on CRC http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/brake-pads?f=4294959697
"The best brakepad ever.
The salmon for wet weather is the only one I know that can brake even on a chrome steel rim you find on old French bikes.
The black rim is perfect for everyday use, it's really rim friendly."

The trouble is if you buy them the pads will be worth more than the bike!

OP
OP
Batgirl

Batgirl

In Disguise!
Happy riding and take car in the wet after putting car polish on your rims. You might not stop :eek:
A good buy for £20. You'll be bitten by the cycling bug in no time at all and wondering what next to buy your Fruit Salad bike :thumbsup:
thankfully I ran out of steam before the polish went on! So nothing on the rims at the moment - just had a good scrub with wire wool and a wire brush.

OP
OP
Batgirl

Batgirl

In Disguise!
I found this quote regarding Koop Stop Supra brake pads on CRC http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/brake-pads?f=4294959697
"The best brakepad ever.
The salmon for wet weather is the only one I know that can brake even on a chrome steel rim you find on old French bikes.
The black rim is perfect for everyday use, it's really rim friendly."

The trouble is if you buy them the pads will be worth more than the bike!

Thanks :smile: I can't see me going too fast but will have a look at the brakes on there and the ones you recommended.. :smile:

I don't think this will be a forever bike, just a 'see if you like it' ;)

Top Bottom