£300 ish to spend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lastpost

Hi there

I would be really grateful if anybody could offer some advice. I am just getting into biking and am finding that my current cheap bike just does not cut it.

I know it is not a huge amount to spend but I have £300 - £400 I want to invest in some new wheels.

What would you guys suggest?

It needs to be a mountain bike, I will be doing mainly road riding, but some off-road.

Any help is really appreciated! Oh, and apologies for posting as I am sure this kind of info has been covered hundreds of times!

Many thanks

CeeDee51

OP
OP
L

Lastpost

I know they are a little more than £300 - but which of the following would anybody suggest?

Claude Butler Cape Wrath D27

Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc / Sports Disc

Gary D

Lastpost said:
I know they are a little more than £300 - but which of the following would anybody suggest?

Claude Butler Cape Wrath D27

Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc / Sports Disc

Neither if you are doing mainly road riding! :evil: :ohmy:

You need to define what you mean by "off-road"?

If it is just compressed dirt or gravel tracks then a hybrid, cyclocross or touring bike (probably only second hand for the latter 2 with your budget) would do. Note: No suspension required!!
If it is full-on rock strewn single track then you need a mountain bike. However, your road riding will be comprimised if you go this route.

Just be aware that if you start to really get in to cycling, then you probably won't go off-road at all. So my advice would be to lean towards a road-orientated bike ie 700c wheels with 28-32C tyres, no suspension, flat handlebars and a triple chainset. Something like a Specialized Sirrus or Trek 7.2FX or similar.

Gary.

OP
OP
L

Lastpost

Hi Gary

Thanks for that. It will be off-road enough to warrant a mountain bike...

Any ideas what £400ish could get me? Looking new ideally...perhaps last year's models?

Gary D

Lastpost said:
Hi Gary

Thanks for that. It will be off-road enough to warrant a mountain bike...

Any ideas what £400ish could get me? Looking new ideally...perhaps last year's models?

Nope - sorry :biggrin: :ohmy:

I know diddly-squat about Mountain bikes. :evil: :ohmy:

Others on here will however, I'm sure, be along shortly to advise................

Gary.

N1ck

If you need to do mainly road riding but also want to do off road you really need 2 bikes.

I am in a similar situation, a couple of years ago I bought a mountain bike. I do ride off road but I have started riding to work which is 12 miles both ways.

I am looking to get a road bike in addition to the mountain bike. It is hard to decide. So far I have considered the Specialized Sirrus, Ridgeback Flight, Trek FX. I'm going to try them out in the next few days.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I am sorry but that is rubbish. I have only one bike - a MTB and I ride it as much on the road as off. Unless the OP is planning to do be a roadie and a MTB'er then I think a Rigid or Hard Tail (with lockout) is the only way to go. MTB's are the greatest utilitarian bikes on the market.
N1ck said:
If you need to do mainly road riding but also want to do off road you really need 2 bikes.

I am in a similar situation, a couple of years ago I bought a mountain bike. I do ride off road but I have started riding to work which is 12 miles both ways.

I am looking to get a road bike in addition to the mountain bike. It is hard to decide. So far I have considered the Specialized Sirrus, Ridgeback Flight, Trek FX. I'm going to try them out in the next few days.

Downward

Guru
I have seen plenty of MTB riders around that are very quick on the roads - Just as quick as the hybrid riders and the part time Road bikers so don't be too put off using your mountain bike on the road.

At the level most people are at it's more about fitness than how fancy your bike is.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Can't you just opt for an "Urban" Hybrid, i.e. 26" wheels with semi-slick tyres. Surely this would cover both options well enough? ;)

How about something like this, as a starting point for research?

Kind regards,
SD

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Cheers, I was beginning to think I was a very small minority. ;)
Downward said:
I have seen plenty of MTB riders around that are very quick on the roads - Just as quick as the hybrid riders and the part time Road bikers so don't be too put off using your mountain bike on the road.

At the level most people are at it's more about fitness than how fancy your bike is.

Downward

Guru
I wouldn't go anywhere worse that a towpath or a loose gravel path on my hybrid - Those skinny tyres are not grippy enough and the ride is horrible.

The Rookie

If your running discs and QR then changing a wheel is a 20 seconds job, so run a pair of semi slicks and a pair of knobblies when going proper off road....or choose off road tyres with a solid centre ridge, not the very best off road, but work OK!

Riding a Giant Rincon with lockout front sus and front disc (rear disc conversion started)....2 sets of wheels/tyres.

Simon

Top Bottom