£300000 per week

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
People get so riled up about footballers' wages.... as long as I'm not paying for them [even indirectly] I'm not bothered but when you think Rooney, Tevez and the like could probably each fund the staff salaries needed to run a hospital wing for a whole year on one week's wages, it makes you think... well, it does me anyway!

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
There are 2 people laughing at this - the person being paid it, and me....

Me?

Yes, me.

I am laughing at the people that pay a HUGE sum from their (considerably) smaller incomes to pay to watch someone kick a ball of leather around a park....

In fact they've been blindly (obeying) doing this for decades without question....:wacko:

I hope there are more footballers in the wings ready to take more money off stupid people......

screenman

Legendary Member
People get so riled up about footballers' wages.... as long as I'm not paying for them [even indirectly] I'm not bothered but when you think Rooney, Tevez and the like could probably each fund the staff salaries needed to run a hospital wing for a whole year on one week's wages, it makes you think... well, it does me anyway!
You take it easy I tried that once and it gave me headaches.

I must admit there have been many times in my career when I have earned a lot more that some nurses etc. this has not always sat well with my conscious.

screenman

Legendary Member
There are 2 people laughing at this - the person being paid it, and me....

Me?

Yes, me.

I am laughing at the people that pay a HUGE sum from their (considerably) smaller incomes to pay to watch someone kick a ball of leather around a park....

In fact they've been blindly (obeying) doing this for decades without question....:wacko:

I hope there are more footballers in the wings ready to take more money off stupid people......

Is that a bit like the stupid people who pay more than £100 for a bike?

Choice, I love it.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Is that a bit like the stupid people who pay more than £100 for a bike?

Choice, I love it.
No.

Not even close to being the same.

Buying a bike you obtain a tangible and resellable object - not something you can do with a cold, wet, cramped view of the back of someone's head with the occasional 'brief' glimpse of one of 22 footballers 80 yards away.......

screenman

Legendary Member
No.

Not even close to being the same.

Buying a bike you obtain a tangible and resellable object - not something you can do with a cold, wet, cramped view of the back of someone's head with the occasional 'brief' glimpse of one of 22 footballers 80 yards away.......
But that is you view, football fans have another one, it is a game I seriously dislike, But I do respect people choice.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I tell you what ... if somebody would pay me £300,000 a week, I promise to give £299,500 of that to reputable UK charities, and to spend at least 2 hours a day on CycleChat trying to encourage new cyclists. Deal? :thumbsup:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
How about £1,000 a week and I give half of that to charity? :whistle:

Adam4868

Guru
Its whatever your into,i love football and love taking my kids to matches.My kids both play and so would i if i werent getting on ! The bikes my thing now.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I fail to see the problem. Those who enjoy watching men chase each other around a field get to do so. The footballers make money. The club makes money. And the rest of us benefit from a huge wodge of tax revenue.

PK99

Legendary Member
You will have seen that Obituaries of Sir Tom Finney who died age 91 last week

He retired in 1960, when the maximum wage was £20 per week after a 15 year career playing for Preston North End.

A very rough and ready calculation:
Maximum wage increased from £14 per week (£12 in summer) to £20 over his career.
Say £15/week * 52 weeks * 15 years = £11,700 career earings.
Allow for inflation from 1955. ( http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...tion-calculator-value-money-changed-1900.html )

Career earnings in 2014 pounds: £260,000

. as long as I'm not paying for them [even indirectly] I'm not bothered
Unfortunately you are, you will have dealings with at least one corporation that pay out a small fortune in sponsorship be it Nationwide building society or Coca Cola, we all pay in the end.

Top Bottom