£350 for new wheels?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

endoman

I've been riding my Focus Cayo for about 5 months now, around 150 miles a week avge. Looking to keep going through the winter and then do some more sportives and maybe some time trials next year.

I understand that a wheel upgrade is most beneficial, and to that end am looking at around £350 to spend on some new wheels. It's hilly round here, and I weigh around 80 kg now. Any suggestions please? I may be able to get Sram and Zipp at cost price if that helps. Cassette is 105.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I can't comment on specific wheelsets at that price (though Zipp have an excellent reputation). What I can say is that when paired with lightweight tyres and tubes (Michelin Pro-race 4 or similar), it's money well spent. It'll transform your ride.
Keep the old wheels, chuck some tough 25c tyres (like Krylions or Bonty hardcases) for winter work.

check out harry rowlands wheel builder i got some off him hand built for about £280 and pleased as punch with them, gogle him he has a website and is very helpful

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
£350 will buy a cracking handbuilt set. Ultegra hubs and open Pro/CXP33 or even DT Swiss rims. Or off the peg - Ksyrium Elites if you look about.

Good race tyres make a huge difference in ride (massive)

OP
OP
endoman

endoman

Ta, the hand built option seems the least risky. Will ask at the club,
Etape any tyre suggestions? get some race tyres for sportives and etape next year, and I might even venture into some time trials ( gulp)

jay clock

Massive member
Agreed, Merlin a good place.

In terms of ideas, I can strongly recommend Easton. I have three pairs (don't ask!) of which the cheaper ones are the now superseded Circuits. These became the EA50 and this is the current version http://www.wiggle.co.uk/easton-ea50-aero-clincher-rear-wheel/ - a pair will cost you £288 from Wiggle. (They are doing various discount codes so may be better than that). Mine really are rock solid and I am 88kg. I also have a pair of EA90 Aero wheels I will be selling. £500 new - about two years old but little used. Am going to sell in the spring, unless anyone is interested now. (They have been replaced by a pair of Dura Ace wheels from Merlin with £550 off RRP!.

OP
OP
endoman

endoman

Decided to splurge birthday cash / present on some Fulcrum racing 5's for training. Will use original rear on the turbo and for the worst of the weather and get a new cassette for the new wheels. Then come the spring some hand builts for sportives / etape.
Will report back on how the fulcrum's perform.

Top Bottom