£37 for a new zip? Ouch!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The tag has broken off the zip on my winter cycling jacket. It is still working but awkward to use so I thought I would get it replaced. Lancashire Sports Repairs in Burnley charge £37 to replace a zip, which is almost what the jacket cost me. I reckon my local clothing alterations place ought to be able to do it for less but how would they find a zip the right length? Do garment zips come in lengths or do you cut them and crimp on the joiner thingy at the bottom?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had the same thing happen on a 1 year old fleece jacket. I assumed that it would not be cost-effective to have the zip replaced so I have just put up with having to fiddle with the stump of the tag for the past 10 years or so. (It operates a little ratchet which locks the zip, so I have to use the tip of a fingernail to lift the tag before sliding the zip fastener.)

fatblokish

Guru
Remove the zip tag completely with a pair of pliers and replace with one of those split rings used to hold keys together (narrow ones are best). My endura nightvision broke its own tag :whistle: years ago and is now fitted with a split ring and leather key fob. Works a treat.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Remove the zip tag completely with a pair of pliers and replace with one of those split rings used to hold keys together (narrow ones are best). My endura nightvision broke its own tag :whistle: years ago and is now fitted with a split ring and leather key fob. Works a treat.

Unfortunately while trying to do exactly that I snapped off the eye on the zip traveller itself, so there's nothing to which I can attach a new tag.

Anyway I've just phoned Sew Sew my local repairer in Radcliffe, she can do it for £10 - £15!

Top Bottom