£500 budget on C2W scheme

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david k

Hi
So the max i can get is £500! didnt think it was an issue as i was going to put too but this isnt an option as it cannot be done so i am told

so, i want a comfortable generous road bike or fast tourer style, an audax i believe its called, any ideas anyone.

Im 6'2" and about 17 stone, i dont like to be cramped

Norm

Specialized Secteur fits the bill, or the Sirrus for the flat-barred alternative.

vickster

Legendary Member
is the vanquish the best of their road bikes? can you fir mudgaurds?

No, the Boardman's are better but the cheapest is over your budget - the Vanquish would appear to be the highest spec Carrera under £500

Dunno about the guards, phone them up, go in to the shop, read the spec?

(you still haven't said whether you are restricted to Halfords - there are LBS's that will accept Halfords vouchers btw and indeed, they can order many brands http://www.cycle2work.info/siteadvicecentrebrand Including the suggested Dawes)

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_272633_langId_-1_categoryId_165710

looks promising, it says it has a longer head tube and therefore quite sat up, also takes mudgaurds and pannier set, defo worth a try

vickster

Legendary Member
Are you looking for flat bar or do you fancy drops as a change? The Boardman looks nicer (to my female eyes lol) but the Vanquish should be swifter

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
i agree with you!

id prefer drops and use the raod for summer.fair weather road rides, save my hybrid for poorer weather/trail rides

the gearing on the boardman suggests its the same as a road bike, they call i performance hybrid!

i fancy the drops but its not essential, i suppose im not 100% sure, i need to go and try them in the shop i think

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
For a lot for your money try a Dawes Tanami. It will do your commute, light touring and light off-road and comes with a rack and mudguards. It should be bullet-proof. If it fits.

Bill

thanks bill, looks a bit heavy and slow and similar to my hybrid already, want something quicker but comfy, im asking a lot i know! suppose i want a compromise

Top Bottom