£500 budget, wireless etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
Hello

Once again I'm nearly about to buy a cam

I nearly bought the POV thing last year, I want wireless and as small and light as possible, I want at least a couple of hours or run time and I want the 'mark' feature i think the POV had, and loop

Is the POV still a good buy or has it now been superceded by something better

I'm intially thinking something small on the helmet and someting wireless elsewhere to record etc etc

thanks

If I were to have a spare £500 odd quid set aside for a helmet camera I'd get this the Dogcam HQ2 + recorder kit.

I have the HQ1 and I have been very happy with it. This camera takes it a step further with excellent low light capabilities, excellent resolution and a good record bit rate.

It's a bit above your budget, but remember we can get 10% off via here.

I think someone on here has this camera but I can't remember who.

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
bless you Mags, bit bloody dead on this bit init

loks good but what a lot of accessories

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Might be too late but here goes...

..if you want wireless then the VHoldR is the best you can get really. I think they fixed all the bugs that were plaguing them now too.

Wired would get you near dvd quality encoding. I have the HQ-2 camera and a HQR-2 recorder from Dogcam. Its a bit over your budget and the wire management might be an issue. The Vio POV1.5 is pretty damn close, had better cable management, cheaper price and the recorder is waterproof so it beats the HQR-2 on those factors. You cant actually change the battery on the HQR-2 either, something I beleive you can do on the Vio.

I have some HQ-2 and HQR-2 clips on my channel:
http://www.youtube.com/downfader2

Johnredhornet has some good Vio footage on his channel:
http://www.youtube.com/jonredhornet

Not the best VHoldR footage but search around Youtube for better:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV0t5OrrrAs

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuC8fdkG6KE

(click the HD or HQ buttons for better quality too if they have them)

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
too late? ha, I take months edging up to any descision I'm not entirely sure about so thanks

maybe wired is ok but doesn't it mean when you take your helmet off you have to worry about the wire to the recorder?

gadgetmind

magnatom said:
It's a bit above your budget, but remember we can get 10% off via here.

Has anyone managed to use this code? I can't see where to enter it. which is a trifle frustrating as SWMBO gave the OK for a ContourHD and I want to order before she changes her mind. :-)

Ian

I've used the code a couple of times. I'm sure there is somewhere in the basket/payment area?

Beware the contour HD. I e-mailed the company to ask about night time sensitivity. It seems to be pretty poor.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
magnatom said:
Beware the contour HD. I e-mailed the company to ask about night time sensitivity. It seems to be pretty poor.

For what its does it has several benefits (HD, good colour representation and contrast, good frame rate and its small). If its definately being used during daylight I think it would suit a lot of people.

I'm considering one myself.

downfader said:
For what its does it has several benefits (HD, good colour representation and contrast, good frame rate and its small). If its definately being used during daylight I think it would suit a lot of people.

I'm considering one myself.

Oh, I'm not saying 'don't buy it'. Just making sure that anyone who buys it is aware that it is supposed to be pretty poor in low light.

gadgetmind

Thanks all, code worked once I turned on JavaScript.

ContourHD ordered. Low light operation is an issue, but I looked at some videos taken with the earlier model and they were OK, if not brillant, in low light.

I really want a reliable all-in-one. My GoPro Helmet Hero was OK but the battery life was close to zero, low light was an no-go, the microphone a joke, and it turned itself off over rough roads.

I'm expecting the ContourHD to beat it pretty soundly!

Have ordered a bar mount - dunno whether I can do the helmet cam thing. I'd look like a complete Borg when shopping!

Ian

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
Naturlly my head cam moment arrived yesterday with me un camed

A bendy bus half passed me and the cyclist halfway over London bridge and then gradually pushed us to the curb, ending with us having to stop about a third of the way along the bus as there was no rom left

The chap in front banged on the side of the bus, we footed it to the front where I banged hard on the doors and shouted at the driver expecting some sort of reaction, all I got was a very clam and slightly pleased face with a slight smile

It was never exactly dangerous but he'd clearly done it on purpose

Footage of him, the bus, the reg etc would have been a lovely thing to have

grr

Tynan,

Report it! These buses have cameras on board which will have probably picked you up!

If the guy has the attitude that you describe he needs to be off the road.

Definitely report it!

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
bleeding hell, those contourHDs are £180!

What's wrong with them, that seems far too good to be true, self contained, water/shock proof, runs for 2 hours on a rechargeable and removeable battery

la de dah hemlet mount

edit: possible low light issues ... I'm streetlit fairly well at worse, I can;t see ay reason not to buy one right now, I haven't seen weight yet other than '100g' although that might refer to the body/case only, shipping weight a pound

some review reading called for I think, the boss is going to like £200 a lot more than £550, two hours running time is just long enough to handle my commute, a second battery is always an option I guess

116 grams, dear god

120 mins SD, 90 minutes HD, 90deg on SD, 134 deg on HD

8h footage to a 16Gb card (if you;ve got three spare batteries presumably ...

I'm getting one, done deal

Top Bottom