£500 to spend on first road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

j20nyh

If you had £500 to spend on a road bike, what would you buy?

I'm looking to purchase my first road bike after a couple of months on a hybrid so need some recommendations.

TIA

Drago

Legendary Member
Look no further...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-f85-tiagra-2014/

Beautifully finished, sensibly spec'd, made in the USA and not the far east, and a joy to ride. An £800 machine for £499.

Drago

Legendary Member
Also rode the Ribble too, and while it was comfortable and fitted me well it was dynamically the worst bike of the lot. Quite an old fashioned frame, basic tube manipulation, no tapered steerer, and it showed.

OP
OP
j20nyh

j20nyh

Also rode the Ribble too, and while it was comfortable and fitted me well it was dynamically the worst bike of the lot. Quite an old fashioned frame, basic tube manipulation, no tapered steerer, and it showed.

Great advice, looks like i'll be buying a Felt then if no one can convince me otherwise. The reviews on Wiggle are good, a lot of people seem to have similar issues though with loose spokes and a few saying the tyres are inadequat.

Are these bikes built by Wiggle and if so is there a chance I could get them to swap out the tyres for something else?

vickster

Legendary Member
Pretty much all stock tyres on off the peg bikes are inadequate. You'll have to pay for new ones. The Vittoria Rubinos at £9.50 per tyre from Wiggle are very well regarded (and available in red for bike pimping purposes :biggrin:)

OP
OP
j20nyh

j20nyh

I've also noticed the sizes overlap in the size guide so unsure on what size to order.

I'm 5'7' so fall between the 51cm and 54cm frame.

vIRArqkl.png

vickster

Legendary Member
I am 5'10 and ride 54cm frames. I would think it'll be too big for you without amends and too big bikes are often bad news...I'd go for the smaller one unless you are very long in the torso for your height (what's your inside leg measurement?)

OP
OP
j20nyh

j20nyh

I am 5'10 and ride 54cm frames. I would think it'll be too big for you without amends and too big bikes are often bad news...I'd go for the smaller one unless you are very long in the torso for your height (what's your inside leg measurement?)
Approx 30"

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd call Wiggle for stem/handlebar etc dimensions on the two sizes but still think smaller one (perhaps @Drago can advise on the geometry although he's a much bigger chap)

OP
OP
j20nyh

j20nyh

Just realised they only have the 51cm frames available in Galaxy Black and I had my eye on the Race Red as i've already got a black bike!

Bloody typical! :sad:

Top Bottom