£500 to spend on first road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
j20nyh

j20nyh

Just spoke to a guy at http://www.leisurewheels.co.uk who said that all the 51cm are sold out, he also said that he wouldn't be able to price match Wiggle.

Again, he recommended 54cm for my height of 5'7' so I'm going to try to find a dealer as close as possible with one in stock and take it for a spin.

jack smith

Veteran
Defiantly try some out, I'm 5'11 and I've had 54cm frames

OP
OP
j20nyh

j20nyh

So, according to Wiggle because I'm bang in-between two different frame sizes, the deciding factor would be my arm span.
To work out if you have a long or short reach, you need to determine your ‘ape index’ – this is your arm span minus your height. If you have a positive ape index (ie your arm span is greater than your height) then we suggest you go for the larger of the sizes. If you have a negative ape index (ie your height is greater than your arm span) then you will probably be more comfortable on the smaller of the sizes.

My height is 170cm and my arm span is 167cm so I have a negative ape index of -3 and should go for the 51cm frame.

I was wondering... if I decided to buy the 54 and found it a little too large, would simply fitting a shorter stem fix the issue or are there other implications?

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Sizing is a nightmare because different manufacturers measure their frames differently - I'm also 5' 7" and I ride 50cm Surly, a 53cm Wilier and a 54cm Langster. The Wilier and Langster both describe themselves as 'medium.' The top tubes on all 3 bikes are close to 53cm but all have different length stems (ranging from 80mm on the Surly to 100mm on the Langster). The Wilier was the only one that needed a change from the stock stem. It wasn't unrideable with a 110mm stem but fitting a 90mm stem was a definite improvement and I can't say that I noticed any change in handling.

I'm currently considering a 52cm Dolan...

OP
OP
j20nyh

j20nyh

Sizing is a nightmare because different manufacturers measure their frames differently - I'm also 5' 7" and I ride 50cm Surly, a 53cm Wilier and a 54cm Langster. The Wilier and Langster both describe themselves as 'medium.' The top tubes on all 3 bikes are close to 53cm but all have different length stems (ranging from 80mm on the Surly to 100mm on the Langster). The Wilier was the only one that needed a change from the stock stem. It wasn't unrideable with a 110mm stem but fitting a 90mm stem was a definite improvement and I can't say that I noticed any change in handling.

I'm currently considering a 52cm Dolan...

How did you decide on which size was suitable when you bought each bike? I'm assuming you were able to sit on them.

The 54cm F85 frame has a 100mm stem and the 51cm frame has a 90mm stem but the nearest Felt dealer to me is over an hours drive away. :sad:

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
How did you decide on which size was suitable when you bought each bike? I'm assuming you were able to sit on them.

The 54cm F85 frame has a 100mm stem and the 51cm frame has a 90mm stem but the nearest Felt dealer to me is over an hours drive away. :sad:

I bought the Surly from a local dealer (Alf Jones) and accepted their advice on sizing. It was a good fit so after that I've just checked geometry measurements of any bike I'm interested in against the Surly and I look for a top tube measurement of around 53cm. Using this method the Langster was bought sight unseen over the internet and was a perfect fit. The only one I actually took for a test ride the Wilier and that was the one I ended up having to tweak!

SteCenturion

I am your Father
@j20nyh

I have found a red Giant Defy 3 size 53.5 (Medium) at www.ashcycles.co.uk price £509.99.

it's a 2013 model in the much rarer red colour (they have black too).

The spec of the Giant is lower than that of the Felt F85 with Shimano Sora 9 speed, but the frame will be every bit as good & are highly regarded by many.

My mate has had this exact bike from new & has only ever changed the wheels (because I sold him my light weight Ritcheys) tyres & cassette.

He does lots of sportives & 100m + rides on his & loves it, he has even done the coast to coast on it & can't fault it for comfort & performance.

Not sure if 53.5 would fit as Giant use compact geometry meaning that it's 'effective' size is actually bigger.

If you can find a Giant Defy in size Small with similar spec to the Felt then that's another great option.

OP
OP
j20nyh

j20nyh

Thanks @SteCenturion, unfortunately 53.5 is too big but I did find the 2014 model of the Defy 3 in all sizes for under £500 also - http://www.rutlandcycling.com/28093...currency=GBP&gclid=CNfjnr6NncECFfHKtAodSTcAWw

Like you said it's not quite up to the spec of the Felt it does look like a good alternative and seems to be a popular choice for a budget road bike.

AndyRM

XOXO
Thanks @SteCenturion, unfortunately 53.5 is too big but I did find the 2014 model of the Defy 3 in all sizes for under £500 also - http://www.rutlandcycling.com/28093...currency=GBP&gclid=CNfjnr6NncECFfHKtAodSTcAWw

Like you said it's not quite up to the spec of the Felt it does look like a good alternative and seems to be a popular choice for a budget road bike.

The Defy is an excellent bike and routinely wins awards as one of the best entry level machines around. I think I'm right in saying that the same frame is used from the bottom to the top of the range, with wheels and components upgrading as you spend more.

If that's correct, buy the Defy and upgrade at your leisure. Even if I'm wrong, it's a damn fine bicycle for 500 sheets.

AndyRM

XOXO
Revolution Cross
Genesis CdA (which is a bit more, but with disc brakes)

Would also be worth looking at touring bikes as many of them will have clearances for bigger tyres.

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
I know many will disagree, but if I had 500 to spend, I'd be on the look out for a good quality aluminium bike on eBay or Gumtree.

Somewhere within travelling distance and always cash in hand, so that you can walk away if the bike's not to your liking.

Bought a 2012 Woman's Cannondale Synapse (Tiagra) for my 12year old son for 350 this way. Retail new around 900.

Paid 400 for a Bianchi Nirone (Zenon) with upgraded Planet X wheels. Again - retail 900-1000.

Bit more of a risky purchase- a year old and virtually unused Planet X Stealth Pro Carbon for 650. The deep section 101/82 wheels, even on offer, were retailing for 400!

I realise that it's not for everyone, but, if you have a little idea what to look out for, there are good deals to be had.

Cyclist33

The Defy is an excellent bike and routinely wins awards as one of the best entry level machines around. I think I'm right in saying that the same frame is used from the bottom to the top of the range, with wheels and components upgrading as you spend more.

If that's correct, buy the Defy and upgrade at your leisure. Even if I'm wrong, it's a damn fine bicycle for 500 sheets.

It's not correct, but the Defy 3 is a fine bike nonetheless.

Top Bottom