£500 to spend on first road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclist33

Thanks for the clarification, I must have confused something I thought I'd read. Or fabricated the idea entirely!

I'm only going up to 2014 coz I dunno what's happening with this year's!!

All the frames up to the Defy 2 were the same, then the 1 and 0 were identically better than the others. Don't ask me in what way but I think, lighter and cleverer tube manipulations.

AndyRM

XOXO
I'm only going up to 2014 coz I dunno what's happening with this year's!!

All the frames up to the Defy 2 were the same, then the 1 and 0 were identically better than the others. Don't ask me in what way but I think, lighter and cleverer tube manipulations.

That makes a lot of sense, thinking about it. I'd feel a little short changed if I was spending a grand on a bike with a blingy group rather than frame.

rd83

The 0 and 1 list an ALUXX SL-Grade Aluminum frame, the 2-5 list just ALUXX-Grade Aluminium frame. Don't know what that means.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Thanks for the clarification, I must have confused something I thought I'd read. Or fabricated the idea entirely!
I think that 'once upon a time' & all that, they did use the same frame throughout the range Andy.

These days, or at least in the last 2> 3 years the Defy 1 & 0 have both had the Allux SL frame & the rest use the standard Allux frames.

Never the less, as you quite rightly say, they are all damn fine bikes.

Cyclist33

The Defy is an excellent bike and routinely wins awards as one of the best entry level machines around. I think I'm right in saying that the same frame is used from the bottom to the top of the range, with wheels and components upgrading as you spend more.

If that's correct, buy the Defy and upgrade at your leisure. Even if I'm wrong, it's a damn fine bicycle for 500 sheets.
It's highly regarded and I wuvv mine but I'm not sure the cheaper models have actually won many awards, much less, routinely. If I remember right there was one road test a couple of years back in which the Defy 3 featured, can't recall which mag, anyway the specialized allen won it.

Top Bottom