£7.19 bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
montage said:
I do remember you posting up that you learned to track stand because you have too much spare time on your hands :smile:

Hmmm I am seriously thinking of building up a fixed, going to try get bits from ebay etc to make a decent one - the parts/frames I have from the skip are crap..... mind if I fire a lode of questions your way once I begin? They aren't so good for the knees though...so I best get my dodgy knee sorted out before I even think about buying parts.

Sure, fire away.
They arent good for your knees? BOLLOCKS!!!! Put a sensible gear on at first, and take it easy on it. Dont do huge rides on it at first. Your knees might ache abit, but when your knees get used to it and you learn to spin the gear, your suppleness rises, so does your fitness. Go for 65" at first. This is what i started with. I did abit too much too soon, and my knees ached quiet abit. Once i did it properly, my knees were fine.
I ride 72" now, after going up slowly. Im thinking of dropping down to 68", my suppleness is going. My legs arent spinning enough and i know it. I went down a hill on a 65" gear faster then i did on 72". And was sprinting for signs faster on 65" then i am on 72" aswell.
72" is abit nicer on hills because i never end up too far behind the main group, and when the speed picks up in the main group i can keep up better without having my legs going stupidly fast.
64.8 is what i have on the £7.19 fixed.

Main bits to get which you need to be good are:
Back wheel, make sure its strong and it will last. Good hub in the wheel aswell.
Crankset, good strong crankset with a 1/8th chainring on, much stronger and better.
Sprocket, dont get a cheap ally one, get a decent steel one.
Thats the main things to not go for cheap lower quality.

OP
OP
J

Joe24

And the £7.19 bike is done:becool:
Image046-1.jpg
[/IMG]
Image047-1.jpg
[/IMG]
Image048.jpg
[/IMG]
Charge bar tape on:becool: I hate that, i will never buy it again. It is the worst tape to put on.
Took it for a ride. Its good, bit noisey:laugh: The spokes rub(ive put WD40 on and some oil where they cross) and you can here them when you sprint or go down a bumpy road:laugh:

OP
OP
J

Joe24

Radius said:
Back brake Joe? :biggrin:

No lockring, and the threads on the hub are abit buggered, so the sprocket may come off if i leg brake too hard:wacko::tongue: So its got a back brake because my way to 6th form has lots of junctions at the end of steepish hills.
No BOnj, thats a Campag crank with a proper 1/8th chainring on, so should be very very strong.
Edit: im still surprised that no-one has commented on the quick release on the back wheel.

OP
OP
J

Joe24

stoatsngroats said:
I know Sheldon says don't use a QR on a fixed......so........

"Howcome you got a skewer on Joe24...?" ;)

Actually, im sure sheldon has on his page that you can, somewhere:wacko:
But, i have one on because the axle was a QR one. Sio i tightened it up enough without closing the QR, then pushed the tab down and put abit of weight on it to get it to close;)
Sorted.
A mate used to have one on his fixed for a while, but he kept having to tighten the chain up more then what he did when he had proper nuts on the axle so went back to that.

Tel

Veteran
Yeah Sheldon does say QR is okay and in a bid to keep the cost of converting my fixie project down thats a good thing.

All that time on your hands and you haven't learned to rotate a photo ;)

lol Yeah come on Joe that would be nice...

OP
OP
J

Joe24

Tel said:
Yeah Sheldon does say QR is okay and in a bid to keep the cost of converting my fixie project down thats a good thing.

lol Yeah come on Joe that would be nice...

No, its because i havent got enough time on my hands to rotate it.;)
Just tilt your head sideways instead you lazy buggers!!!;):biggrin::laugh:

Actually, its because i uploaded the picture without paying much attention to it, then when i looked at it saw it wasnt rotated. I just thought sod it and left it, ill rotate it later.

Because i have only used one roll of my bar tape, can i call it the £3.09and a half bike?

OP
OP
J

Joe24

stoatsngroats said:
F%^k off...you cheapskate!;)

I think £3.09 and a half sounds better aswell. Yeh, lets call it that.
So, you now have to build a bike up for £3.09 and a half p.
What a budget, 309 and a half pennies!!!!
;)

montage

God Almighty
Joe24 said:
No, its because i havent got enough time on my hands to rotate it.;)
Just tilt your head sideways instead you lazy buggers!!!;):biggrin::laugh:

Actually, its because i uploaded the picture without paying much attention to it, then when i looked at it saw it wasnt rotated. I just thought sod it and left it, ill rotate it later.

Because i have only used one roll of my bar tape, can i call it the £3.09and a half bike?

NO.

you paid for all the bar tape, therefore the full cost counts.

Top Bottom