£80 or £280 range - does it really matter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yep Decathlon - an £80 bike might be ok the first time you ride it - after that the brakes will start squealing and rubbing, bits will start dropping off - go used and get a decent bike shop to check it over...

xzenonuk

Veteran
i have 2 bikes from decathlon a mtb and a rb and i cannot fault them as they kick ass :smile:

mustang1

Guru
Get a Carrera Parva. I got one and I ordered one for SO but she doesn't seem too bothered so I canceled that order .wicked good bike for the money. I'm not sure I would want to put too much power into the drivetrain though, at least not without changing the chain. Very good bike for the money .

Sorry, a bit late to this thread but, another vote for Decathlon here too.

My last bike from their lasted 12 years with literally no replacement parts needed. It was comfortable and well spec'ed for its price.

My current bike is also from Decathlon after my previous one eventually developed signs of old age. 260 quid has got me a comfortable mountain bike with trigger gears and disk brakes (the brakes are poor and will soon be upgraded, but I can't complain for the price).

I won't spend a lot on a bike. But 80 quid won't get you a new bike. I'm absolutely not being a gear snob, but 80 quid will get you a piece of scrap metal that vaguely resembles a bike at first, until it falls apart. And it's a false economy. A friend of mine used to buy a new budget bike about every 3 months because when they fail, which they do a lot, its cheaper to replace than to repair often.

If you stick to a basic, non suspended style of bike, the lower priced ones can be completely adaquate, but it helps to know the difference between a decent, good value bike and a " Bike Shaped Object".
The major brands don't make BSO so you are safe with them.
Shimano components are good even in the lowest price range. BSO usually fit lesser brands.
BSO frames usually show very poor alignment. The forks may point in different directions to the frame where you would expect them to be in-line.

Full Suspension BSO should always be avoided, but I have ridden some skip rescue discount brand bikes with eg Microshift gearing. They work, the brakes are not as reactive as better models, the metal nuts and bolts are softer and easier to mash. The wonkey forks restrict use to easy riding, no big descents or exttext off road

rjmsmith

Hello, I'm just going to hijack this thread for a quick question rather than start a new one! I'm looking to purchase a bike for, mainly commuting, but some leiuse cycling as well. I have been looking at Decathlon but came across someone selling a Cannondale R400 for £200 on gumtree. Is this worth it or am I better going new. The R400 looks in good nick and apparently it hasn't been used a lot

Hello, I'm just going to hijack this thread for a quick question rather than start a new one! I'm looking to purchase a bike for, mainly commuting, but some leiuse cycling as well. I have been looking at Decathlon but came across someone selling a Cannondale R400 for £200 on gumtree. Is this worth it or am I better going new. The R400 looks in good nick and apparently it hasn't been used a lot
I can't comment on Cannondale. But I can vouch for decathlon bikes. They're actually good value for money. I've had a couple of mountain bikes from them. For less than 300 quid you can get the kind of spec normally found on bikes about twice the price. That's not to say they are better than the used Cannondale you saw. I couldn't comment only because I have no personal experience with Cannondale.

xzenonuk

Veteran

18 kilo's?????? "Frame: Lightweight alloy tubing" that is extremely heavy and the front derailuer only says "shimano front derailuer" probably one of their cheap ones that are on bso's.

i once spent 200 quid on a bso and it was terrible,

the suspension was junk the back derailuer was bent out of the box and the front one sucked balls and the cable disc brakes were always going out of alignment as well as the gears and the bottom bracket packed in and the frame was showing signs of been about to break.

that was only with about 266 miles on it and constantly trying to mantain the pos, managed to get a full refund and got my decathlon rockrider 540 the same day :smile:

the rockrider has well over 3000 miles on it :smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom