‘Don’t get me going on modern-day music. It’s a one-way toilet’

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
When I was young, people his age used to say the same thing about the sort of music that he played.

Nostalgia ain't what is used to be.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
With the exception of perhaps Lewis Capaldi, Ed Sheeran and sometimes Adele, there are very few famous artists/groups that I would listen to. Sign of the times. Artsists and groups are now brands to be sold by greedy Simon Cowells and the like. There are some excellent folk/rock artists I've heard at small festivals etc but they rarely get a look in as most of the potential customers (young folks) are glued to their phones watching rap artists talk about how they grew up on the streets with nothing and now have gold dripping off them

GuyBoden

Guru
Music is basically sound conditioning.

We condition ourselves by frequently listening to music until it becomes acceptable to our brains, this is human psychological behaviour.

DJ's and radio stations know this human psychology, so they play the same records repeatedly.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
I like to watch young 'uns reaction to ancient music on YT like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin etc. They seem to love it, can't get enough of it.
Especially interesting are the tracks:

Under Pressure, Queen: some can't seem to believe that bass line isn't Vanilla Ice....entertaining they hear the original.

Every Breath You Take : as above, they think Sting ripped off Puff Daddy but no...t'other way around.

I see Paloma Faith has brought out a terrible 'lets rewrite other people's song lyrics but use the same tune' (as Puff Daddy) with Sting's Fields of Gold, turning it from a nice ballad into some dull nightclub dance number, replete with those dance music cliché's where the drum beat builds to the inevitable crescendo before crashing into that 1/2 techno beat. Sting might have been involved this time, naughty old Mr Daddy just nicked his song.

That's not ancient music, they were only out about 5 years ago weren't they???

Sharky

Guru
I bumped into Mick and Keith the other day. They don't seem quite so active as they used to and not very talkative.

IMG-20230813-WA0002.jpeg

GuyBoden

Guru
We are listening for patterns of sounds that we have heard before, sounds that our brains can recognise and deem acceptable.

Our hearing seems to prefer the following pitch ratios, that don't oscillate with the root note too much:

1:1 unison.
2:1 octave.
3:2 perfect fifth.
4:3 perfect fourth.
5:3 major sixth.
5:4 major third.
8:5 minor sixth.
6:5 minor third.

Top Bottom