‘Don’t get me going on modern-day music. It’s a one-way toilet’

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
They seem like a very weird and artificial "thing" to me.

I find it hard to believe in many cases that the people "reacting" have never heard this stuff before.

Some fake it, others sometimes fess up to having heard it before. A prime example is Bohemian Rhapsody where they often know the 'opera' bit, mainly thanks to seeing Wayne's World, but not the rest.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Shouldn't that comment be in the "You Know you're getting old..." thread?

When you think something that came out 42 years ago is recent :smile:

I'm a geologist, 42 years is but a nanosecond of geological time:okay:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Blues music I think is the exception to the rule. Many good young Blues bands out there doing the standards but also writing new stuff with talent musically and astonishing musicians as well. Zac Shulz Gang are one of them. Brilliant musicians and the new single Ballyshannon Blues is fantastic.

Tenkaykev

Guru
We are listening for patterns of sounds that we have heard before, sounds that our brains can recognise and deem acceptable.

Our hearing seems to prefer the following pitch ratios, that don't oscillate with the root note too much:

1:1 unison.
2:1 octave.
3:2 perfect fifth.
4:3 perfect fourth.
5:3 major sixth.
5:4 major third.
8:5 minor sixth.
6:5 minor third.

It goes like this, the fourth, the fifth
The minor fall, the major lift
The baffled king composing Hallelujah

Tenkaykev

Guru
I keep radio 6 music on in the background, some of it I find jarring some discordant at first listening, but as has been said in other comments, the discordancy fades with familiarity. It's a great way to discover new music, I love the old stuff that I grew up with Tamla, Soul, and the music of my era, but on occasion a piece of music will grab my attention and I'll discover a band that wouldn't have crossed my radar listening to the more mainstream stations.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I keep radio 6 music on in the background, some of it I find jarring some discordant at first listening, but as has been said in other comments, the discordancy fades with familiarity. It's a great way to discover new music, I love the old stuff that I grew up with Tamla, Soul, and the music of my era, but on occasion a piece of music will grab my attention and I'll discover a band that wouldn't have crossed my radar listening to the more mainstream stations.

Same here, but a lot of the "New Music" I discover through R6 turns out to be new to me, but actually fairly old. I just missed it first time round.

tyred

Legendary Member
Pah! It's been all downhill since Beethoven died.

Big T

Guru
I’m a confirmed 70’s/80’s Prog/Metalhead but I keep abreast of some of the newer metal genres. The spotty teenager who served me in the local Garden Centre last week, was most impressed with my Avenged Sevenfold T shirt. Hail to the King!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I’m a confirmed 70’s/80’s Prog/Metalhead but I keep abreast of some of the newer metal genres. The spotty teenager who served me in the local Garden Centre last week, was most impressed with my Avenged Sevenfold T shirt. Hail to the King!

I was into ska etc that peroid morphing into electro stuff .Never got into the metal scene till i was in my 40s down to one song.....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE9MWD-XHHg

All uphill

Still rolling along
We are listening for patterns of sounds that we have heard before, sounds that our brains can recognise and deem acceptable.

Our hearing seems to prefer the following pitch ratios, that don't oscillate with the root note too much:

1:1 unison.
2:1 octave.
3:2 perfect fifth.
4:3 perfect fourth.
5:3 major sixth.
5:4 major third.
8:5 minor sixth.
6:5 minor third.

I mostly agree, but, but...

Ms AU and I get bored with music easily and have veered away to music that is challenging and refreshing. We can't listen to songs that were our old favourites anymore. Surely that's not just us?

Top Bottom