‘Don’t get me going on modern-day music. It’s a one-way toilet’

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Seriously, what's left of the Rolling Stones is/are er shall we say crap. And I say that as a former fan who saw them twice in 1982 and bought nearly 30 of their 'LP's', albeit the last one being in the mid 1980's. I've seen some of their 'gigs' on You Tube and I've come to the conclusion that the backing musicians and singers make them look presentable at best. I still listen to their old stuff on You Tube and yes, they were very good, but maybe not so much now!:rolleyes:

I mean how old hat is this?!

Shouty, twangy, with young women paid to pretend they 'fancy' the old boys.....honestly! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
I think alot of modern stuff is good.

Ed Sheeran, Ezra, Adele, poloma Faith come to mind.

The middle years of blur and Oasis we a low point imho!!🍿🍿🍿

Adele has one good studio album that she released another 3 times. Seriously, don't you think she basically does the same thing over and over again? No new creativity, at most she screams out a variation of the same lyrics!

I may be exaggerating but you know an Adele track straight away. She has one style without reinvention. It works for her money making but jeez, it's got boring and imho makes her seem less talented every time she does it. At least to me and most people I've discussed this with. If she's put forward as a good example of modern, quality music then imho you're 15 years late to get away with that claim! First album being released 2008.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Popular music is always being re-invented, changed, recycled and re-purposed. A piano has a range of just over 7 octaves, most keyboards are less, and a guitar is more like four. You'd have thought by now that all possible arrangements of those notes have been done, but I'm still finding new music that I like, that I enjoy, and that's just plain fun. Over the last few years I've seen most of the bands I liked in the 80s - Kraftwerk, Human League, OMD, Toyah (again) and I've got Big Country later this year.
Over lockdown I listened to a lot of unfamiliar stuff.
I loved Alestorm, and I'm seeing GloryHammer in February.
I don't even like metal, as a rule.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Popular music is always being re-invented, changed, recycled and re-purposed. A piano has a range of just over 7 octaves, most keyboards are less, and a guitar is more like four. You'd have thought by now that all possible arrangements of those notes have been done, but I'm still finding new music that I like, that I enjoy, and that's just plain fun. Over the last few years I've seen most of the bands I liked in the 80s - Kraftwerk, Human League, OMD, Toyah (again) and I've got Big Country later this year.
Over lockdown I listened to a lot of unfamiliar stuff.
I loved Alestorm, and I'm seeing GloryHammer in February.
I don't even like metal, as a rule.

It's one of those 'truisms' that when examined turns to be about as wrong as it's possible to be.

A maths podcast I used to follow did the maths to work out the number of variations in standard Western tunings and it works out at a number equivalent to a good proportion of the age of the universe. And that's just the Western range.

I once heard an argument that mozart was responsible for all modern music since he was the first composer to throw out the rules and conventions to effectively create musical patterns that have been used ever since.

No idea myself but there is this culture of picking on one older musician and saying all modern music is derived from his music. The latest claim was that every modern rocket's music is derived from Chuck Berry.

It seems you can't have influences in the modern day, but you can have copies and derivatives. The stones and beatles were influenced by various black American music. Now the bands are considered to copy older music not just take influences from.

That to me is arrogant balderdash! There was always manufactured filler and the real deal in among them. That's the same now. That's doesn't mean you can just simply not like something. That's your choice but it doesn't always mean there's no value in this modern stuff.

PS, the sixties and seventies had some real trash in the charts. Have you ever seen music shows if sixties music?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I mostly agree, but, but...

Ms AU and I get bored with music easily and have veered away to music that is challenging and refreshing. We can't listen to songs that were our old favourites anymore. Surely that's not just us?

No, not just you.

We do very little 'old stuff' tbh. Me 67 and she 60.

Listen mainly to Pop, Dance Pop, EDM, Chill, Trance etc. Lots of Bebe Rexa, Griff, Lights, i_o, Astrid S, Sigrid, Maisie Peters, Mimi Webb, Dagny & many of the DJ 'dance' superstars etc.

We do sometimes skip back in time when the mood takes us, albeit not very often - early 70's (me) mid to late 70's (she), some early heavy/prog rock (me) and some Britpop (both).

Musical tastes are very personal and I read that about 80-90% of people as they age (30+) get locked into an era eg their teens or other particularly important period of their life and they stick with it. Fair enough, whatever floats someone's boat. Interestingly, this group are also more likely to rewatch old films, old TV shows, watch Plays multiple times etc than the residual minority percentage.

We, however, are one of the lower percentage that like lots of new stuff and probably add around 30 new tracks per week to our 'archive' - Spotify comes in very handy for us.

Drago

Legendary Member
To be fair, the highlights of the Rolling Stones' career have been sublime, but 95% of their output is mediocre at best. Its been decades since they pulled a blinder themselves.

Adam4868

Guru
Maybe when you've kids round the house playing rap,grime,Harry Styles and other such nonsense, you get to be "forced" to listen to something different.You can even find yourself singing along to Skepta or Styles...never admit it though !
On a flip side my daughter will often ask for the Stone Roses to be put on...years of forced listening as a child will do that 😁

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Adele has one good studio album that she released another 3 times. Seriously, don't you think she basically does the same thing over and over again? No new creativity, at most she screams out a variation of the same lyrics!

I may be exaggerating but you know an Adele track straight away. She has one style without reinvention. It works for her money making but jeez, it's got boring and imho makes her seem less talented every time she does it. At least to me and most people I've discussed this with. If she's put forward as a good example of modern, quality music then imho you're 15 years late to get away with that claim! First album being released 2008.

Just wait until she releases her "82" album

Tenkaykev

Guru
It was about the time Radio 6 music launched that I first heard the Flaming Lips, and immediately purchased the " Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" CD. A few months later my sister visited on holiday, along with her teenage kids. I happened to have the Flaming Lips album playing when they arrived and that is how the word went around the younger members of the family that " uncle Kev is really cool 😁"

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I don't really think "bands" have been any good since Nirvana and the grunge era. Yes there have been a few (Kings of Leon, Killers, being two of my old faves) but the majority are now artists who concentrate more on lyrics, dancing and image. Nirvana were reluctant pop stars and often played poorly on purpose to make a point (remember Top of the Pops?), that it wasn't about miming and looking cool on stage, but was about real musicians playing live music.

Lots of good music is still out there, but not popular enough to be snapped up by record companies on a grand scale. I mean, it would be popular if given the platform, but as usual it's all about money and making as much as you can from the "brand", quickly.

Top Bottom