‘Don’t get me going on modern-day music. It’s a one-way toilet’

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Cough. Foo Fighters, QoTSA, Greta Van Fleet, Them Crooked Vultures. Cough.

There is indeed some shiite about, but there's no shortage of good stuff too. The sixties were no difrerent, other than the sheet stuff being su g by the likes of Jimmy Young and not sampled on a synth.

Alex321

Veteran
Cough. Foo Fighters, QoTSA, Greta Van Fleet, Them Crooked Vultures. Cough.

There is indeed some shiite about, but there's no shortage of good stuff too. The sixties were no difrerent, other than the sheet stuff being su g by the likes of Jimmy Young and not sampled on a synth.

Trouble is, a lot of that good stuff just doesn't get the exposure needed. The only one of the bands you list that I have even heard of is Foo Fighters.

There are others I like that are good, and get some exposure, but not enough to be mainstream popular, such as Skinny Lister, Caro Emerald.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Adele has one good studio album that she released another 3 times. Seriously, don't you think she basically does the same thing over and over again? No new creativity, at most she screams out a variation of the same lyrics!

I may be exaggerating but you know an Adele track straight away. She has one style without reinvention. It works for her money making but jeez, it's got boring and imho makes her seem less talented every time she does it. At least to me and most people I've discussed this with. If she's put forward as a good example of modern, quality music then imho you're 15 years late to get away with that claim! First album being released 2008.

I thought 21 was a very good album.

I do agree that she has become 'same old, same old' and her moody introspection has become tiresome.

Not keen on her real-life 'cry at any opportunity' persona either.

Fantastic voice though - just needs harnessing in a new direction for me to enjoy her output.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
And when you look at it Wayne's World isn't exactly just a year or two ago. 😂

But is widely available on DVD, Blu ray, been on telly lots & the scene with BR in the car actually brought it to the attention of new fans, ultimately leading to Myers small part in the Queen BR movie :okay: .

Venod

Eh up
On a flip side my daughter will often ask for the Stone Roses to be put on...years of forced listening as a child will do that
I like to think I have influenced my sons listening, riding in the back of the car been forced to listen to my choice, I noticed his Spotify favourites contains a lot of stuff I listen to, on the flip side some of the newer stuff he listens to is rubbish in my opinion, but there are several I do like.

Kings of Leon and the killers good? Opinions differ widely. I've got a few of their albums on a hard drive somewhere but they got clipped off my phone some time ago. Phone memory wastage with those bands. Delete, delete, delete!

Isn't that the point? Tastes are so very personal that you cannot define good music only what's good in your opinion. However you can probably tell truly bad music but then could that not have been done on another level? Ironically bad / knowingly bad?

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Yes true, like any art form it's all down to personal preference. You can in some ways "judge" musical success by how many records they've sold. But nowadays it's mostly done on streams and not necessarily album sales. And just because it's popular, doesn't mean it's good musically i.e. not all successful artists are accomplished musicians or singers! But a rap artist who can't really sing or play an instrument has still got to be respected in some way, if only for trying hard and having a hand in the production of the record

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
And when you look at it Wayne's World isn't exactly just a year or two ago. 😂

Well exactly, most who have seen Wayne’s World when it came out, are not young by any stretch of the imagination

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Even fellow oldie Barry Manilow knows when it's time to give it up and let someone else/younger take money off the gullible!!:rolleyes:
https://www.goldradiouk.com/news/music/barry-manilow-uk-concerts-tickets-dates/

Though this old boiler just can't seem to accept that she's way best her sell by date!!🧐
https://www.madonna.com/news/title/madonna-sells-out-35-shows-across-global-run

How can Madonna be past her sell by date if she is managing to sell all available tickets?

Yes true, like any art form it's all down to personal preference. You can in some ways "judge" musical success by how many records they've sold. But nowadays it's mostly done on streams and not necessarily album sales. And just because it's popular, doesn't mean it's good musically i.e. not all successful artists are accomplished musicians or singers! But a rap artist who can't really sing or play an instrument has still got to be respected in some way, if only for trying hard and having a hand in the production of the record

Rap is a very underrated musical form. What does a good musician have in their skillset? Rhythm? Timing? Lyricism / poetic skills? Perhaps part of it. You don't think good rappers have that? I believe there's a rapper who has actually written books or poetry. These people have ways with words like other wordsmiths of the music industry, that you might not appreciate it but their skills are there nonetheless.

It reminds me that at one time academic wrote Bob Dylan off as just a folk rock star. Later on you hear that reputable universities have courses that look at his lyrics as a form of musical poetry. There's university courses I once read that look at rap as part of the course. Can't remember when or where reported or which university though.

I reckon that some rappers work, if written down, would fit into one style of poetry. Certainly decent rap lyrics are better than a lot of rock music pieces of work. Utter tripe gets through rock and pop music lyrically at least.

BTW I still like the UK rapper from a style that MPs argued should be banned due to its violent lyrics (perhaps reporting on what they see/experience in their lyrics) who made a rap track in his style solely from recorded MPs words or from reported words from MPs. It was classic drill MC track that MPs probably want banned but it's OK when the MP comes out with such threats and verbal violence or abuse. BTW it was part of c4 documentary on abusive behaviours of politicians IIRC.

That's another side of rap. By describing experiences of sections of society most don't see, well they are political. If they become successful they often put a lot back too.

johnblack

Über Member
Loads of decent young bands about, you just have to get out there. I help look after a band so get to a fair few gigs and it's great to see kids getting out there, putting in the miles and getting bigger gigs. They nearly all do it because they love it, certainly not for the money.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm still struggling with the phrase "one way toilet". Where the hell did he get that from.

There's a Soft Boys song "Rock 'n' Roll Toilet" but I don't think that's relevant.

Top Bottom