‘Don’t get me going on modern-day music. It’s a one-way toilet’

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I heard enter the sandman. Not bad. Didn't think Metallica could do anything good.

I saw them at Reading '97. Worst band we saw! Ignoring the fact they had a roadie doing a sound check for twice as long at the big. Ignoring the fact that lead guitar kept cutting out. Ignoring the fact the lead singer's mic kept sounding like that comedian who made a career out of pretending his mic was iffy. Ignoring the fact that despite all that they got there too late and had their gig turned off under the festival's licence restrictions. Ignoring all that they were simply off the boil and weren't very good when things actually did go well!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
My point was/is that most pay to watch her out of blind loyalty, rather then expecting 'great entertainment'

And you know this how. How many of them have you asked?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
... How would she fare doing a vocal solo show with a bassist, a drummer, a lead guitarist and maybe a rhythm guitarist?

Probably a lot better than younger acts that rely entirely on autotune.
As one gets older, they generally don't cease to have the ability to sing in tune, but they mightn't be able to sing a song in the original key so they rearrange it into a different key. If you could sing in tune when you were young, you'll probably still be able to do so when you're much much older.

GuyBoden

Guru
Probably a lot better than younger acts that rely entirely on autotune.
As one gets older, they generally don't cease to have the ability to sing in tune, but they mightn't be able to sing a song in the original key so they rearrange it into a different key. If you could sing in tune when you were young, you'll probably still be able to do so when you're much much older.

Before her fame, Madonna played the Hacienda Manchester in early/mid 1980's and mimed to backing tracks, nearly everyone booed her off stage.

The Madonna Hacienda gig might be on youtube.

Edit: This was when the Hacienda had regular bands playing, before it became involved in the fashionable club/house scene 1980/90's.

Last edited:

MontyVeda

Before her fame, Madonna played the Hacienda Manchester in early/mid 1980's and mimed to backing tracks, nearly everyone booed her off stage.

The Madonna Hacienda gig might be on youtube.

Edit: This was when the Hacienda had regular bands playing, before it became involved in the fashionable club/house scene 1980/90's.

the hacienda gig was for £50... would you bring a full band in for that?

GuyBoden

Guru
the hacienda gig was for £50... would you bring a full band in for that?

Most unknown bands played the Hacienda for peanuts, Madonna was an unknown at that time, but £50 does seem a bit too low. At the time the Hacienda was a live gigging venue, I went a few times and no bands mimed on live gigs in those days. It wasn't a Karaoke club, so nearly everyone would have booed her off stage.

She did pay for her dancers, but no musicians.:laugh:

Last edited:

MontyVeda

Most unknown bands played the Hacienda for peanuts, Madonna was an unknown at that time, but £50 does seem a bit too low. At the time the Hacienda was a live gigging venue, I went a few times and no bands mimed on live gigs in those days. It wasn't a Karaoke club, so nearly everyone would have booed her off stage.

She did pay for her dancers, but no musicians.:laugh:

best £50 ever spent, according to Tony Wilson ^_^

Top Bottom