‘Don’t get me going on modern-day music. It’s a one-way toilet’

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
A loyal fan base who pay to see her, knowing she'a past it, but go to see her just to say they've seen her again, for the umpteenth time I'd say. She's not the only one. Many more (and not just singers and musicians) are embarrassingly trying to hold onto their youth, instead of growing old gracefully.

Why on earth shouldn't she?

You are clearly wrong about her being "past her sell-by date" since plenty of people still do pay to see her.

And whether those are young people or old and whether they have seen her upmteen times bore or are seeing her for the first time has absolutely no relevance to that fact.

So long as people are willing to pay t o see the act, then why shouldn't they continue to perform?

Perhaps it's her voice that is past it's best. Sell by date is just about phrase for past the best possibly by some way. There's lots of old bands still touring who are not to their old standard. If ppl get something out of that great for them but there is something wrong with it imho. What they're doing is giving ppl memories of their art that's sub optimal and could damage their legacy.

So perfectly OK to do just how will it affect their legacy in the long term?

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I'm not sure any artist can be "past their best". Once again, it's all about personal preference. For example, I often prefer Johnny Cash's later songs to his earlier ones. This might be because I first saw him perform (on TV) at Glastonbury 1994. I also love his stuff from 2002-2006, possibly better than the "famous" songs from the 50s and 60s.

There might also be fans who just want to see the artist live and are not bothered which set list they play. I don't think their legacy is necessarily derived from their worst/latest performances, but is a sum of all their work

Cash was one of those old performers whose later work in old age carried pathos due to his age and the age of his voice, indeed his career long voice I think suits older performances better than most. I think his cover of the nine inch nails track was very good but age added that extra level to it. Genius!

PS I used to go, to sleep in the hills to Johnny Cash tracks. Massive storm and I'm under a tarp in a bivvy listening to Cash singing one of his "on the railroads" types of song. Either hobo or railroad worker story to the songs. Very calming!

Alex321

Veteran
Personally, I can't stand The Stones. I get that people love them and think they're the dogs proverbials, but not for me.

I was never keen on them either. During the 60's and 70's, I think most people liked either the Beatles or the Stones, but not all that many liked both. And I was definitely a Beatles man (or boy).

I always felt the Stones voices sounded much harsher, and there didn't seem to be as much melody in their tracks.

They're just a joyless Aerosmith.

My former bosses were diehard beattles fans. As in visiting Abbey Road almost every year to see it from the outside. As in best day of their life was a studio tour. Better than birth of their kids!

Anyway the radio was playing a very obscure b side from the band. He asked me who it was as a test. I could tell it was 60s music but that was it. Didn't sound like the beatles.

When I said I didn't know who it was he got a bit angry. He gave me a second chance and I guessed small faces. Well he went off on one! I had to walk away.

I think fans of certain bands can be compete nutters about it.

PS stones over beattles.

PPS I once heard a story about the guy who used to book bands for Lancaster uni back when it was a big venue for significant bands. Apparently he had an early slot on for one night and a guy called asking if he could bring his band to play there. He must have been in a good mood because he booked them for very little.

It was not a big night so he never bothered going to see the night. His deputy called him to tell him to get there straight away. He did and it was Paul McCartney and he was trying out a few new tracks for his new band after the beattles. Apparently he wanted to test a few tracks out live before recording or going on tour or something.

Come over here and say that.

[you wouldn't punch a small bird ... would you??]

OK, I'm in South Cumbria, where is over here for you!

Come to think of it, I heard the news stones track and I think both bands are soulless. This new stones track is like them trying too hard to cover old stones tracks, just not the good ones!!!!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
So now her fans are past their sell by date? Look if you can sell out all your venues, then clearly you are still popular and not past your sell by date. Someone’s sell by date is not determined by the latest teenagers views, whatever they may think.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.”

Dylan Thomas

Why on earth shouldn't she?

You are clearly wrong about her being "past her sell-by date" since plenty of people still do pay to see her.

And whether those are young people or old and whether they have seen her upmteen times bore or are seeing her for the first time has absolutely no relevance to that fact.

So long as people are willing to pay t o see the act, then why shouldn't they continue to perform?
My point was/is that most pay to watch her out of blind loyalty, rather then expecting 'great entertainment'. She sells out not because she's a great entertainer, but because they feel they have to see her, otherwise they'll feel they've let her down. I suppose she has very good backing singers and musicians. How would she fare doing a vocal solo show with a bassist, a drummer, a lead guitarist and maybe a rhythm guitarist?

Top Bottom