“Get off the f***king road. You should be on the cyclepath.”

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
http://www.westerntelegraph.co.uk/n...oke_Dock_driver_knocked_cyclist_off_her_bike/

Mr Jones said Miss Davidson-Hall, aged 30, signalled for Butland to overtake her, but instead he drew alongside and screamed, “Get off the f***king road. You should be on the cyclepath.”

He then swerved into her “as some kind of warning” but failed to make contact with her.

Butland swerved at her a second time, this time hitting her and making her wobble.

On the third occasion his car hit her arm and she “sensibly” fell to her left and not to her right and into the carriageway.

Butland, of Military Road, Pennar, drove off but was arrested later the same day.

He admitted shouting at her but not deliberately swerving into her. Later, he admitted a charge of dangerous driving.

Mr Jones said his driving had been so blatant that other motorists had had a clear view and reported him to the police.

Butland was banned from driving for 18 months and ordered to pass an extended driving test before getting his licence back.

He was also ordered to carry out 140 hours of unpaid work for the community and to pay a court charge of £900, a government surcharge of £60 and £400 in prosecution costs, plus the his own, unknown, defence costs.

Butland was also ordered to pay Miss Davidson-Hall £1,000 in compensation, but Mr Recorder Furness warned him that she would be awarded a higher sum if she took civil action against him.

Share article

Mr Recorder Furness ordered Butland to pay all the financial penalties within six weeks.

"It was a very foolish, and now very expensive, piece of driving," added the judge.

Makes you wonder if that was really the first time he'd done it. Truly horrible, using two tons of metal to hit people you disagree with.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
http://www.westerntelegraph.co.uk/n...oke_Dock_driver_knocked_cyclist_off_her_bike/

Makes you wonder if that was really the first time he'd done it. Truly horrible, using two tons of metal to hit people you disagree with.
140 hours of community service, £1360 in costs (not counting his own defence costs), and no threat of prison.

He must be pinching himself, thinking "what a result".

I bet he'll do it again, if and when he gets his licence back

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

It's like a horrible rage that makes no sense, almost like he's been infected. Any delay she caused was over by the time he was alongside. And he's 74 and retired, was he really so furious at a delay he'd risk killing a woman? It would have been helpful maybe to ask him where this murderous rage sprang from.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
At least he has to pass an extended test. That's more than many. Not really enough IMO. Shouldn't it be a violent offence when the victim is walking or cycling, not just dangerous driving?

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

Cabbies angry at the CSH plans have boasted on Twitter that any cyclist who doesn't use the new lanes is "fair game". I think it's time we asked why a pensioner, who, I'm prepared to believe has thus far led a blameless life of bourgeois respectability, tried to hit a woman with 2 tons of metal. Three times.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The hugely troubling thing about cases like this is the realisation that someone can quite deliberately knock you off your bike, you end up in hospital and they get away witha fine. I don't think I'm being alarmist by wondering if a fair few of the cyclists killed each year may have acrually been murdered. I've been driven at, more that once, and I recall one of our number on here being badly injured by a vehicular assault ( perp punished in that instance)

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I'm baffled. "Mr Recorder Furness said such offending attracted a prison sentence but he would bear in mind that he was aged 74 and had led a blameless life until now."

What has his age to do with anything? And what difference does it make that he has a clean record? Seriously. Would 'Mr Recorder Furness' let a murderer off on account of 'it's the first time he's killed anyone'? I really don't get it. If the offence 'attracted' (I'm assuming he means 'merited') a prison sentence, he should have been sent to prison. Or am I missing something?

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

On the third occasion his car hit her arm and she “sensibly” fell to her left and not to her right and into the carriageway.

Not sure if the poor rider had much say in the direction she fell, it's not usually towards the vehicle someone's just driven into you.

Top Bottom