“Get off the f***king road. You should be on the cyclepath.”

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
why t-f is it even remotely considered a motoring offence !

If you stab someone with a kitchen knife it's not normally prosecuted under food hygiene regulations

Heathcote Williams Autogeddon is an interesting read

The Visitor follows up the court reports:

Hit someone over the head with a chrome fender and kill them―

Life.

Take the precaution of attaching the chrome fender to a car,

Hit someone over the head with it, and kill them―

Six months suspended. Licence briefly withheld.

Brandane

Legendary Member
In reality, the guy will probably never get his licence back. That extended test is not easy to pass; I had one or two "naughty boys" going through it when I worked as a driving instructor a while back. It was unofficially accepted that no-one passed it first time (examiners know there is a reason why they are sitting an extended test!); so coupled with some driving lessons and at least two extended tests, there's another few hundred £££ onto his costs. At his age I doubt if he could ever pass the extended test anyway.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
This was a couple of miles from me. 'Assault with a deadly weapon' seems to cover it. Not a driving offence at all.
I've had "Get off the f***king road. You should be on the cyclepath" shouted at me by drivers around Neyland, Milford, Haverford, Pembroke, Pembroke Dock, Broad Haven, et cetera.

In fact, I really don't feel a visit to Big Sis is complete unless and until a nobber in a car has shouted at me.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Very close to home this one, I've ridden this road and shared path on hundreds of occasions, from end to end it's about 1.5mile.
The shared path is good in that it's wide, the surface is good and it's not very busy with peds. However, it is frequently strewn with glass, I would guess that over 50% of the punctures I've had have come from this one stretch of path.
The road is nightmare. It's busy and it's fast, although usually only one way at a time, and the lanes are not very wide. At peak times it will be pretty much queued from one end to the other either going into or out of Haverfordwest. It is very unusual to see a cyclist use the road, there are usually a fair number on the path. If you use it, which I do occasionally, you will get abused and you will get close passed, I have never used this section of road without at least one motorist telling me to "Get on the flipping cyclepath" or close passing me, usually both.
The man's a tit and the sentence is too lenient. I hope the cyclist has a speedy recovery and sues the arse off him.

Last edited:

Thomk

Guru
I wonder what penalty he would have got if he had swung a samurai sword at her 3 times (as a "warning") while she was tightrope walking to force her to do as he wanted, cutting her in the process and making her fall off.

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

That's kind of what I'm getting at Thomk. Presumably there isn't a virus going round that turns harmless pensioners into Zombie Attack Ragers, so why were no questions asked about where this poisonous nonsense comes from?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
It seems it'll take huge change in mindset before those using cars as a weapon are treated the same as those who use anything else as a weapon.

Quite, it's a huge difference between incompetently driving, even outright dangerous driving - and actually deliberately knocking someone off their bike

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
That's kind of what I'm getting at Thomk. Presumably there isn't a virus going round that turns harmless pensioners into Zombie Attack Ragers, so why were no questions asked about where this poisonous nonsense comes from?

It would only elicit the widely accepted excuse of it being "a moment of madness".

GC

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
6 weeks to pay up, any longer and I'd assume he would be held to be 'in contempt of court' so off to chokey, where he should have been sent anyway IMO.

The financial penalty would have been decided first, then the defendant is asked how long he requires to pay it.

Six weeks suggests he has all but immediate access to the £2K.

This in turn suggests he has a few quid, a suggestion supported by the recorder's observation that a civil claim for damages might also yield a decent sum.

You can't get blood out of a stone, but the overall impression from the case is this stone has some blood in it.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
£2360 in costs and compensation? Yet another example of a totally unfair tax on the law-abiding, hard-pressed motorist.

PS I initially spelt "and" as "abd", the acronym of the association of brutish drivers; I wonder what their take on this case is?

PPS just noticed another misspelling! I haven't touched a drop since about 20:00 yesterday, honest.

Top Bottom