“Get off the f***king road. You should be on the cyclepath.”

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

From what I can see her bike's covered but not her medical bills. Any damage to his car isn't covered.

We don’t accept liability for claims arising from road rage, as the driver has engaged in deliberate reckless driving and so they must accept that any resulting loss or injury, has resulted from their own negligence and they cant expect us to indemnify them as it was not accidental or unforeseeable.

400bhp

Guru
The £1,000 is the criminal court's gesture of compensation for the injury, and is also part of the punishment because the driver has to pay it directly from his own funds.

A civil claim against the driver - almost certainly through his motor insurers - would include the bike and the personal injury.

I'm not sure that it would go through insurers because of the conviction in the courts for the same incident. One for @srw

raleighnut

Legendary Member
From what I can see her bike's covered but not her medical bills. Any damage to his car isn't covered.
But surely any damage to a third party will be covered, both for the vehicle and any personal injury.
Might make it very expensive for him to get insurance in the future (if indeed any company will insure him) , effectively keeping him off the roads.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm not sure that it would go through insurers because of the conviction in the courts for the same incident. One for @srw

It looks likely the third party property damage will be covered.

The personal injury, a broken hand, may not come to a lot more, assuming there is no permanent disability.

As I posted earlier, it looks like the guy has a few quid, so a direct claim might be worthwhile, even if his insurer refuses to cover some of it.

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

Lives in a £90k terraced house.

Shortmember

Bickerton Cyclocross Racing Team groupie
Cycling on busy roads these days is not for the fainthearted.I'm one of the fainthearts, so I always use cyclepaths if available and take my chances with the broken glass and other puncture inducing debris. After all, it's far easier to repair a flat tyre than a flat body.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Cycling on busy roads these days is not for the fainthearted.I'm one of the fainthearts, so I always use cyclepaths if available and take my chances with the broken glass and other puncture inducing debris. After all, it's far easier to repair a flat tyre than a flat body.
I'm not knocking your decision but the reason you feel the way you do is, I suspect, because of idiots like the one in the OP, and the reason that that idiots like the one in the OP exist is because they so frequently get away with acting in such a despicable manner, people like yourself feel forced from the roads and then the cyclists that still use the road get even more abuse because they're a rarer sight and the abusers generally get away with it. It's a rather nasty downwards spiral and the way to reverse it is to get more cyclists back on the road, but........and on it goes.

DRM

Guru

Having taken my bike on holiday to France, I think the one thing that sticks out there is the respect that overtaking drivers give you, down to the fact that if they hit you they are immediately at fault, no if's or but's, they are in the wrong, it's about time the UK had the same law, it's the only thing that will stop these incidents as far as I can see.

markharry66

Über Member
Ignoring the horrendous idiot for a minute look at the story why even mention the cycle path in the opening part of the story.
You have to ask why and what do you hope to achieve. To right we have a right to be in the road.

Top Bottom