“Notchy” SPD pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Purple Man

I have this exact issue. Only the non-drive-side pedal gives me trouble—is notchy. I’m not sure why this is since because they’re oppositely threaded, both should be tightening in the pedaling direction. Anyway I’ve fixed the problem maybe three times: I take it apart, find that the problem is indeed that the bearing cone is too tight and that the notchiness immediately disappears when I slightly loosen it. I use blue Locktite and have even let it cure for 24 hours before reassembling. A couple rides later and the notchiness is back. My only thought is that the Locktite isn’t holding and that I should buy new Locktite. It’s true these low level Shimano pedals are inexpensive and could be replaced, but I don’t like leaving the problem unsolved.

I have this exact issue. Only the non-drive-side pedal gives me trouble—is notchy. I’m not sure why this is since because they’re oppositely threaded, both should be tightening in the pedaling direction. Anyway I’ve fixed the problem maybe three times: I take it apart, find that the problem is indeed that the bearing cone is too tight and that the notchiness immediately disappears when I slightly loosen it. I use blue Locktite and have even let it cure for 24 hours before reassembling. A couple rides later and the notchiness is back. My only thought is that the Locktite isn’t holding and that I should buy new Locktite. It’s true these low level Shimano pedals are inexpensive and could be replaced, but I don’t like leaving the problem unsolved.
Solve the problem then by getting some new ones.
They generally don't rebuild very well.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
They can be notchy when new, because they're not adjusted properly. Unfortunately this applies to most of the budget Shimano stuff now, same with hubs.

They rebuild fine if you know what you're doing. I ride a lot on ancient M737 SPDs that are probably 30 years old and have little paint left. Perfectly smooth with new balls.

Reactions: C R
They can be notchy when new, because they're not adjusted properly. Unfortunately this applies to most of the budget Shimano stuff now, same with hubs.

They rebuild fine if you know what you're doing. I ride a lot on ancient M737 SPDs that are probably 30 years old and have little paint left. Perfectly smooth with new balls.
30 year old kit will be xtr spec these days with the state of cheap junk that's produced.

Top Bottom