🎵These are a few of our favourite hills🎵

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
Lowest gear I have is 34 at the front 32 at the back, which I realise is quite low, but I'm not a very strong rider.

I have an 11-34 rear cassette and 34 small ring. It's not about being strong, but enjoyment. My other half has done LEJOG, London to Paris and Way of the Roses twice and commutes 17 miles each day and she hates any hill > 10%. But I wouldn't say she is not a strong rider

Reactions: C R
Not a road I've ridden for a few years, but 'The Strines' (Mortimer Road) was always an interesting one
It's harder from the south (from A57/'Snake Pass') towards Midhopestones & Penistone

CW-February-16-2017-issue.jpg

Lee Lane (aka 'Shibden Wall'), at Halifax, isn't much fun either, a few years ago, during the Tour of Britain, it made a lot of the peleton go for the footpath, as it was smoother, if as steep

'Trooper Lane' (also Halifax) is another swine, I'll admit I've not ridden it. but have run it on 2 occasions, during a 10 mile road (& trail) race
It's deemed to ascend the height of Blackpool Tower in half-a-mile!!

EDIT @ 22:57
The first time I rode The Strines, was after a 'loop' (Wakefield > Denby Dale > Holmfirth > HolmeMoss > Glossop > Snake Pass > Strines > Penistone > Denby Dale > Wakefield
Three of us rode it, my future bro-in-law, & a good friend (a fellow CX/MTB rider)
G/f followed/leap-frogged in her car, it was the only way her parents would let her 15 year old (at the time) brother tag along, it made it a bit easier, in terms of bottles/food/jackets

It was about 1991-1992, & my lowest gear was a 42 x 21....
I suffered.............

Holmfirth (the pink/blue is mine)
1990's. Holmfirth Bus Station.jpg

'Deliverance'

Mortimer Road. 1.jpg

Mortimer Road. 2.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom