🎵These are a few of our favourite hills🎵

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Some great ones around the Purbecks, Kingston, East Creech etc.
Screenshot_20230604_103545_Samsung Internet.jpg

13 rider

Guru
Presumably that was going up the Bwlch from the Port Talbot direction. I've been down that way, but only gone up (twice) from Nant-y-Moel. I do like that climb. Quite long, but not steep, you can just settle into a rhythm and keep going.

Another, very different, climb I like is Tyn-y-Coed road up to Pentyrch from Creigiau. Only a Cat 4, rather than the cat 3 of the Bwlch, but because it is a bit shorter, and variable in steepness, probably harder.
Yes started in the park near Port Talbot so yes from that direction

OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
MowCop is my fav local(ish) hill, but I like Frodsham Hill too.

View attachment 692963

It's a bonkers road. Potholes make it even harder!

presta

Guru
Market Hill in Maldon is quite fun for going down.
It's only a shortie, but it just briefly touches 1 in 6 at the steepest point, and if you lay it into the bend, and there aren't any slowcoches in cars, you can just get down it without the brakes.

C R

Guru
I'm not much of a climber, and there aren't many particularly big hills here either. My favourite is the climb to the top of the Wyche Cutting in Malvern. The hardest bit is Church Street to the post office, then it gets easier. The view from the Cutting back over the Severn Valley is worth the effort, such as it is.

The one I particularly hate is Ankerdine, I still haven't managed to get to the top without stopping.

C R

Guru
I don't think I have done that, but have gone up to Wyche Cutting via Walwyn Road (it's in Simon Warren's Midlands book)
I've never gone up from the Colwall side, I think it is harder towards the end at the "hairpins".

It's a pig of a climb and not particularly pretty either

It starts really sharp and I find it very difficult to pace properly, always end up having to stop feeling like my heart is going to come out of my ears.

OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
I've never gone up from the Colwall side, I think it is harder towards the end at the "hairpins".

It starts really sharp and I find it very difficult to pace properly, always end up having to stop feeling like my heart is going to come out of my ears.

What sort of cassette do you have? It has taken me a while to realise that the best way to go uphill is slowly.

Top Bottom