🎵These are a few of our favourite hills🎵

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
I can't see a forum dedicated to hill climbing (yet @Shaun @Moderators !?) though there are the lunacy threads on the challenges. Despite my name I love tackling hills, any shape or form. I go out of my way to find them.

So I'll start this thread with my favourite hill climb: Stwlan Dam
Screenshot_20230529_215429.jpg

It's a road closed to traffic with a gate at the bottom near Blaenau Ffestiniog and provides access to re dam and reservoir. Beautiful hairpin and views.

What are your favourite hill climbs (don't have to be the hardest) and why?

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
My favourite is Lowton Road heading from Taunton towards Honiton.
20221109_115259.jpg

I like it because it's local, there's very little traffic, and it's the shortest route to some wonderful countryside.

About 1.2 miles long at an average 12%.

Oh yes, another good thing is that it does end, eventually.

13 rider

Guru
I'm cheating by picking 2 done one after the other on the Dragon ride 2019 , the Blwch (not Blwch y gross ) 5.8km at 6% steepest 22% descend that then climb Rhigos 6.2km at 4% steepest 7% then a super fast descent best 15 miles of riding I've ever done
The Blwch comes quite near the start so riders are still fairly bunched up halfway up there's a hairpin bend where you see the top and bottom and the road was covered by hundreds of riders in the sunshine which was quite a sight

Last edited:
OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

I'm cheating by picking 2 done one after the other on the Dragon ride 2019 , the Blwch (not Blwch y gross ) 5.8km at 6% steepest 22% descent that then climb Rhigos 6.2km at 4% steepest 7% then a super fast descent best 15 miles of riding I've ever done
The Blwch comes quite near the start so riders are still fairly bunched up halfway up there's a hairpin bend where you see the top and bottom and the road was covered by hundreds of riders in the sunshine which was quite a sight

These two are definitely on my list to try! But feel a bit intimidated by the length of even the shorter Dragon Rides. Most of my memorable hills are in Wales

OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

I'm cheating by picking 2
Not cheating. Deliberately asked for favourite hill climbs  so one could list more than one. It may change if you go up a new hill...😉 I'm of the ruminating over my top 5 hill climbs!

13 rider

Guru
These two are definitely on my list to try! But feel a bit intimidated by the length of even the shorter Dragon Rides. Most of my memorable hills are in Wales
I did the 94 miler Medio Fondo if your relatively fit it's not a killer the 2 climbs are incredibly steady gradients and it just a case of pick a gear and spin up the tough climb is the Devil elbow 18% for a short distance
The Dragon ride it so we'll run and feed stop are well stocked , give it a go

OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

I did the 94 miler Medio Fondo if your relatively fit it's not a killer the 2 climbs are incredibly steady gradients and it just a case of pick a gear and spin up the tough climb is the Devil elbow 18% for a short distance
The Dragon ride it so we'll run and feed stop are well stocked , give it a go

This year it was too soon before my target event for the season, so maybe next year. Until I changed pedals/cleats/shoes the distance I cycled was a bit limited by foot pain/numbness/hot spots. Seems much better now, so now I just have to find the time...

Top Bottom