1.0 litre 3 pot turbo engines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I got a Kia Cee'd 1.0T GDi ISG GT-Line Stationwagon in August and I'm very pleased with it so far.

Granted it's only been doing my small commute and local errands so far, but it pulls well and the economy seems fine to me.

I made sure I had a test drive first as I had my reservations, but once I'd had a go I was happy enough to buy it.

FWIW the MIL used to have a Peugeot 2008 with a 1.2 3 cylinder Pure Tech engine, and that went well enough as well.

The Ford Focus 1.0 Ecoboost was also on my list, but research shows it has a timing belt, (I prefer a chain), and on some engines it was apparently designed to be for life, and therefore no regard was given to timing belt maintenance, but apparently the sealed for life idea has been binned now. However, as it wasn't designed to be changed, (FWIW it runs in oil apparently), as it hasn't worked out, that engine now requires something like, (IIRC), 10-12 hours labour to change the belt!

OP
OP
Salar

Salar

A fish out of water
I got a Kia Cee'd 1.0T GDi ISG GT-Line Stationwagon in August and I'm very pleased with it so far.

Well, that's a coincidence, that is exactly the same vehicle I'm looking at . :smile:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Is that in actual driving, or EU official numbers? I ask as I had understood that in the real world they were falling a long way short of official numbers.

I don't know what the "official" figures are but my C3 Aircross (1.2 petrol, 110bhp) averages around 48mpg, the C3 HDi hatch (1.6 diesel, 90bhp, in a smaller car) I used to have averaged around 52mpg with the same use.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I think the Mk4's widely regarded as the nadir of Golfdom.

Drago

Legendary Member
I was asking specifically about the Ford 1.0 engine, about which I'd heard that.
SiL reports mid to high 40's in his ecosport 140 - not bad considering it has the aerodynamics of a grand piano, and his driving style is rather enthusiastic. He tells me thats proper MPG (he claims imcome tax relief on the fuel, so keeps records of litres and miles) not the bullsheet dash displays that people often quote.

The Ford 3 pot can be reliably tuned to about 180 - it will safely go higher, bu pt the standard turbo is the limiting factor.

We used to have a Mk 4 1.8T not the best GTi but Mrs Gunk liked it, we swapped it for a MkV which was brilliant.

View attachment 561981

View attachment 561980
The Mk IV got traded in for an M3... so I never had a Mk V, not that I was worried. Yours looks great though.
Thing is, before the GTi I had a 1998 1.9 diesel Mondeo estate, so I thought the Golf was terrific in comparison, even though earlier and later ones were better.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Did depend on the firing order, the originals were 180 degrees, then later triples 120 degrees which were much smoother.
But still a handful....

This belonged to one of my flatmates at uni.

A handful? It would have been for me, I couldn't work the clutch with one hand but my flatmate was a 6' 4" shetlander and built like a brick shithouse. From my point of view sitting on the back this was the best handling bike I've been on. It was only scary from a standing start, wondering if my arms were going to pop out their sockets.
The 180 crank idled reasonably smoothly, it just sounded odd. Unfortunately it wasn't very reliable so he eventually sold it.

A couple of years later he dropped in on his way back from buying another Laverda somewhere down south.

I was going to go for a hurl on the back, but declined after pointing out that the canvas was showing through the rear tyre. He'd rode overnight to Edinburgh and hadn't noticed!

Gunk

Guru
The Mk IV got traded in for an M3... so I never had a Mk V, not that I was worried. Yours looks great though.
Thing is, before the GTi I had a 1998 1.9 diesel Mondeo estate, so I thought the Golf was terrific in comparison, even though earlier and later ones were better.

16 Golfs since 1982, I’ve had the current one for 5 years now. Probably the best one yet.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
This belonged to one of my flatmates at uni.

View attachment 562306
A handful? It would have been for me, I couldn't work the clutch with one hand but my flatmate was a 6' 4" shetlander and built like a brick shithouse. From my point of view sitting on the back this was the best handling bike I've been on. It was only scary from a standing start, wondering if my arms were going to pop out their sockets.
The 180 crank idled reasonably smoothly, it just sounded odd. Unfortunately it wasn't very reliable so he eventually sold it.

A couple of years later he dropped in on his way back from buying another Laverda somewhere down south.

View attachment 562307

I was going to go for a hurl on the back, but declined after pointing out that the canvas was showing through the rear tyre. He'd rode overnight to Edinburgh and hadn't noticed!
Magic!
On a Jota my feet would barely touch the ground!
I was offered a 750SF in mint condition apart from non-original exhaust pipes for free! I declined, at the time sadly it had no place in my world or immediate future. :-(
Beautiful bikes.

Top Bottom