1 1/8" to mm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

citybabe

Keep Calm and OMG.......CAKES!!
I need to raise the handlebars on a friends bike - Raleigh Pioneer 2.
The measurement given on the headset is 1 1/8" so am I right or wrong in thinking that I will need a 28mm spanner?

D

Deleted member 23692

It's 28.6mm so a 28mm spanner might be a bit tight

byegad

Legendary Member
1 1/8th is 9/8x25.4 which makes 28.575mm So 28mm would be too small and 29mm too big. Most tool sets have a spanner designed specifically for headset adjustment, usually a thin pair with multiple distances across the jaws depending on how far you move the spanner in to the nut. The thin part allows you to engage both nuts at the same time to ensure you don't over-tighten the bearing once you have it right.

OP
OP
citybabe

citybabe

1 1/8th is 9/8x25.4 which makes 28.575mm So 28mm would be too small and 29mm too big. Most tool sets have a spanner designed specifically for headset adjustment, usually a thin pair with multiple distances across the jaws depending on how far you move the spanner in to the nut. The thin part allows you to engage both nuts at the same time to ensure you don't over-tighten the bearing once you have it right.

Is it possible to buy the spanner on it's own or is it a trip to the LBS?

byegad

Legendary Member
Buy from a LBS or online. It's easy to get right and the tools will cost you about the same as the LBS would charge. Next time, it's free!

I bought a cheap tool set £25ish IIRC some 14 years ago when I got back into cycling and replaced the cheap ones that get most use as they wore out. I've probably spent over £100 in 14 years. How much would 50+ bike services*, having 3 bottom brackets replaced, 100+ replaced brake and gear cables, a dozen or so replaced cassettes, 40 or so replaced chains and all the little fettling jobs I've done on our bikes over that time at the LBS? It's a no brainer to me.

* We currently have three recumbent trikes, a Hybrid and two Folders, at our maximum we owned 13 bikes and trikes between us.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Raising bar height on a quill stem just needs an allen key. Just like ahead, but with ahead you need spacers and are limited by steerer height.

If its quill, which I think it might be, don't go toughing the headset. Allen key in top of stem.

Tim Hall

Raising bar height on a quill stem just needs an allen key. Just like ahead, but with ahead you need spacers and are limited by steerer height.

If its quill, which I think it might be, don't go toughing the headset. Allen key in top of stem.
What @fossyant said. A quick Google for the Pioneer 2 suggests it is indeed a quill stem. Loosen (but don't undo) the bolt on the top of the handlebars. It runs down inside the forks. Grasp handlebars and wiggle and pull gently. When at the correct height, tighten the bolt again. You may need to tap the bolt to loosen it at first - the wedge of the other end that fixes the handlebars in position may have got stuck. To do this, protect it first with a piece of wood, the hit with a hammer.

OP
OP
citybabe

citybabe

Thanks guys - all done now.
My mistake as I wasn't looking at the stem properly. I was thinking that I had to release the headset nut to raise the bars :blush:

Top Bottom