1.2 turbo engined cars.........are they really any good ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
At the moment I drive a 1.6 petrol. Looking to change, I see a lot of manufacturers are now offering 1.0, 1.2 or 1.4 turbo engines.
As an e.g......I am looking at the Renault Captur 1.2 which has (I think) 115 bhp. I am sure that is more bhp than my present 1.6.
I understand that if you are towing then you likely need a bigger engine but...........
Most of my driving is local........less than 20 mile runs.......but if I go on holiday (maybe Cornwall) I also want to be able to cruise 350 miles at 70 mph with 2 people and luggage.
Part of me is thinking................
a) if they are really good........why don't they ditch the 1.6 and 1.8s and all go small.
b) why do some offer 1 litre turbo, other 1.2 while others offer 1.4.
Any thoughts ???

potsy

Rambler
I went back to a smaller engined petrol car this time, albeit a 1.4, was a bit reluctant at first as I assumed it would be underpowered for a mid sized car, I was wrong, it is much faster than my previous car which was a 1.6 diesel and still gets close on 45 mpg.

DRHysted

Guru
Really depends on use Mum has a 1.2 turbo diesel fiat doblo which will happily do motorway speeds 4 up, but you really feel as if you need an extra gear. I run a 2 litre turbo diesel ford Mondeo which will effortlessly do motorway speeds fully loaded 2 adults, 6 dogs, and towing a 1 tonne trailer.
The Mondeo averages 38mpg, Doblo averages 45mpg.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
When looking for a car for Mrs Kes last year we tested the 900cc ecobost fiesta, and were absolutely blown away by the performance and refinement from such a small motor.

The car itself was right on the upper edge of the budget, and we came very, very close to shelling out.

Decided eventually to go with the smaller, cheaper Peugeot 107, and tbh that's proven to be a fine car for what it's used for (15 mile commute).
It will happily sit on the motorway at 75-80mph but is a bit on the noisy side, and not sure i'd want to do 300 miles in it tbh.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
When looking for a car for Mrs Kes last year we tested the 900cc ecobost fiesta, and were absolutely blown away by the performance and refinement from such a small motor.

I was lent one of these as a courtesy car. I was absolutely gobsmacked with the torque at low rpm from such a small engine. I reckoned it was on a par with a 2L normally aspirated engine.
Well impressed.

vickster

Legendary Member
My 1.4 litre turbo Skoda has 180bhp...it might be the additional bolted on supercharger that gives it a fair bit of extra oomph (0-60 in 7 seconds) :whistle:

45mpg claimed, it actually is much more economical than previous swift cars I've had despite being bigger (I've had 3 adults, a roadbike and luggage in it from London to the Peak District)...feels quicker than all previous cars too (Golf GTI, Focus ST170, Mini S Works)

I've never found it wanting and that's without slipping the DSG box into sport mode...

Jockulele

I was lent one of these as a courtesy car. I was absolutely gobsmacked with the torque at low rpm from such a small engine. I reckoned it was on a par with a 2L normally aspirated engine.
Well impressed.

We have the Ecoboost Fiesta and it is a brilliant car . Nippy and economical , whats not to like..

Levo-Lon

Guru
What @Drago said..the right one will be superb..the 1.0 fiesta is a cracker
I have a 90bhp 1250 doblo van it geoes really well but does rev a bit....as said earlier

My 1.4 litre turbo Skoda has 180bhp...it might be the additional bolted on supercharger that gives it a fair bit of extra oomph (0-60 in 7 seconds) :whistle:
I've never found it wanting and that's without slipping the DSG box into sport mode...

Skoda offer that engine in the Superb (saloon, & estate), which I'd have thought was a bit big/heavy for it
(my Octavia estate is a 1.6Tdi)

My mother has a Corsa, but that's a 1.0 3-cylinder, & is gutless, and sounds awful

vickster

Legendary Member
Skoda offer that engine in the Superb (saloon, & estate), which I'd have thought was a bit big/heavy for it
(my Octavia estate is a 1.6Tdi)

My mother has a Corsa, but that's a 1.0 3-cylinder, & is gutless, and sounds awful
I have the Fabia estate, so certainly not too heavy :smile:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Was loaned a C4 Cactus with the 1.2 turbo petrol engine when my C3 was in at the dealership.
Was ok to drive and not as gutless as I'd expected, but the three pot engine sounded like an old VW beetle with a plug off when even modestly pushed.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I've got a 1.2 petrol Qashqai, which prolly has the same engine as the Captur given the collaborations between Nissan and Renault.

It ain't quick, but it's economical for a petrol and very very quiet. Sensible motorway driving isn't a problem, although you'll not be jousting in the fast lane. My main gripe would be the huge flat spot between first and second. Don't give it enough revs away from a busy junction and your life may well flash before you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom