1" Steerer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Judderz

Looking to buy a 2nd hand frame that takes a 1" steerer fork, just looking on Chain Reaction, and there forks are all 1.1/8" steerers, my question is will these fit, or does it have to categorically be a 1" steerer fork?

Ta in advance.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nope - you need an old skool 1" fork !

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
The forks are different, if you go threadless you will need to get a star nut fitted with threaded you won't. With both you will need to get the fork crown race fitted.
Threaded tend to have a quill stem or converter while the threadless you use a stem attached around the fork stearer.
That has probably made it no clearer sorry.

OP
OP
Judderz

Judderz

Take it a threaded headset screws to the steerer, as a threadless one is more like the modern 'uses spacers and the stem clamps to the steerer above the spacers'?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Yep the threaded is compressed and held in place by the screw thread on the stearer while the threadless is compressed via the star nut and the top cap.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You will struggle to get a ahead for 1". It's usually 1 1/8. You can get normal headsets for 1", some dubious quality. My best bike takes Dura Ace - took me some time to get a new cassette bearing one - then ended up with two..... will keep the bike going another 40 years though.

Try and get a cassette bearing headset if you can - you just replace the bearing cassette, not the whole headset !

g00se

Veteran
Hi there,

I recently built up a 1" ahead frame and fork for my wife.

For the carbon fork, you may find decent second hand Kinesis carbon threadless forks. For new ones, have a look at Tifosi. There are some decent name brand ones on ebay too (used or NOS) such as Easton and Ritchey.

Tifosi forks

1" ahead headsets are a bit like hens teeth but they are out there. I found a Ritchey one in the odds and sods box at my LBS.

If you have the cash: Campag headset

Some more decent looking ones here.

For the stem, there are some old 1" stems out there, but the best thing will be to get a 1-1/8" stem and a shim to make it fit. This is especially the case if you want to use oversize bars as I don't think you can get 1" oversize stems.

You can get 1" spacers on ebay.

g00se

Veteran
Just wait until you start trying to match 1-1/8" frames and forks....

External, integrated, semi-integrated, internal headsets; fork crown diameters etc :smile:

Top Bottom