10 miles in 42 minutes any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I think our performances are generally similar

15.88 miles
Distance
1:03:18
Time
1:00:00
Moving Time
1:19:17
Elapsed Time
15.0 mph
Avg Speed
15.9 mph
Avg Moving Speed
26.4 mph
Max Speed

88 m
Elev Gain
114 m
Elev Loss
7 m
Min Elev
37 m
Max Elev

87 rpm
Avg Bike Cadence
123 rpm
Max Bike Cadence

---------

I did stop a few times. bumped into a guy from work so stopped for a natter so hence the difference between time/moving time. im about 90kg depending how empty the tank is. (though ive lost 30kg since I first signed up here)

No matter how fast you think you are, there will always be people who are faster so the most important thing is not to put too much thought into it and just enjoy yourself.

What i like about my particular route are the long flat straights with really good tarmac for me to do some out of the saddle sprinting and absolutely just knacker myself. :bicycle::bicycle: slowing down and stopping for lights and other road users before cranking it up again just adds to the intensity :laugh::laugh:

OP
OP
M

MBosh

What i like about my particular route are the long flat straights with really good tarmac for me to do some out of the saddle sprinting and absolutely just knacker myself. :bicycle::bicycle: slowing down and stopping for lights and other road users before cranking it up again just adds to the intensity :laugh:
I don't think I've ever come out of the saddle since my gears slipped and I ended up on the cross bar on my cycle. I found it a really painful experience for obvious reasons. The embarrasment also hurt a little, but I peddle the quickest I've ever done that day just get the image out of the minds of people watching. I think I managed 30 mph that day and it only took me about 5 seconds to reach that speed.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
As I only Holiday abroad I use their system when there but my head automatically converts it as I read itn

I usually convert metric weights, fluid measurements and even small linear measurements back into imperial as I encounter them
If I see a bike quoted as weighing 10kg, that's 22lbs in real money, and for the steel stuff I'm interested in, is very light. My bathroom scales reads in stones and pounds, not kg. When I work out how much water I've drunk during a ride, it's always converted into pints. When I'm looking at a bike frame and assessing whether it will fit me, a 57cm is a 22 1/2" and a 59.5cm is 23 1/2". I even mentally convert metric width tyres in order to get a comparison with familiar imperial sizes; a 35mm hybrid tyre is roughly the same as a 1 3/8" roadster one, so I expect similar performance. 28mm is roughly 1 1/8", so more a fast tourer spec.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I don't think I've ever come out of the saddle since my gears slipped and I ended up on the cross bar on my cycle. I found it a really painful experience for obvious reasons. The embarrasment also hurt a little, but I peddle the quickest I've ever done that day just get the image out of the minds of people watching. I think I managed 30 mph that day and it only took me about 5 seconds to reach that speed.

Should have. Your LBS have a look at that. Shouldn't be happening on good bikes like the defy

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm male and do find I have difficulty with sleep and maybe some stress at times. Even when I do get a good regular 8 hours of sleep though, I still find I get tired more quickly these days. I've tried drinking more water and energy drinks, but I still feel drained at times. Take today for example. There's no way I would have the energy to cycle 10 miles, but on another day I'm raring to go and soreness in the knee is the only thing that prevents me from going further. I just feel like my energy is being sapped more times then not lately.

Go and see the GP for a check up to ensure there's no underlying illness but at the age of 53 your testosterone levels are dropping so you will feel less energetic and take longer to recover. You will also find it less easy to cope with stress. Unfortunately a secondary effect of lower testosterone is that the female hormone naturally present in your body will begin to predominate and you'll begin to accumulate body fat. At 64 I've a cute pair of moobs and there isn't much that can be done about it.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I've tried drinking more water and energy drinks, but I still feel drained at times.

Two things here.

You don’t want to be drinking too much water. If you are getting to the stage of colourless pee, then you’ve drunk too much.

Energy drinks. These are to be avoided, and don’t have a positive influence on the heart if drunk regularly.

Then the fatigue.

Is this recently after you have taken up cycling? It takes a while for the body to adapt to a level of intensity and / or frequency duration of exercise. Sometimes all that’s needed is to back off the exercise for a week or so to allow the body to recover.

Last edited:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Energy drinks will do you more harm than good. Super high sugar content and minuscule amount of caffeine. You end up on a sugar high rather that gives you a feeling of being 'alert' like what it says on the can. Its not an affect that lasts particularly long. youre basically consuming empty calories with no nutritional value other than giving you diabetus if you drink too much.

Top Bottom