10 or 11 speed compatible wheels ? - I just don't know

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Here's my potential problem.

I am seriously considering buying a Ribble R872 frame & fork rather than complete bike, then having it built up with a new 11 speed 105 group & wheels & parts I already have.

I have 3 sets of 10 speed wheels all in fantastic condition, Easton EA50 Aero, Easton EC70 SL & American Classic Aero 3 420.
Discounting the AC's *white colour*, can I fit an 11 speed cassette to either of the Eastons ?
I can't find any info to say yes or no as they are discontinued models.

Will I have to swallow the cost of new wheels ?

This route is slightly more expensive in total cost but as I have already paid out on parts, less expensive than buying the 105 Edition & being stuck with Ribbles parts options.

Any ideas folks ?

Thanks.

Citius

Why not just go 10 speed and remove all doubt?

Citius

Because 11 speed is available at a marginal cost increase. Also, why go back if I can go forwards ?

It's only a marginal cost increase if all your wheels are suitable. If not, then it becomes a significant cost increase. The benefits of an extra gear have been massively over-sold anyway.

ayceejay

Guru
An 11 speed cassette won't fit, the chain with the new gruppo may be marginally thinner (easily checked) but otherwise I don't see a problem running existing wheels and cassette with the new 105

winjim

Smash the cistern
Based on my own experience no I don't
Are you doing this? With what equipment? Because it might work, but I doubt it'll be perfect. And what's the point in getting a fancy 11sp groupset if you can't set it up to be perfect?

OP
OP
SteCenturion

SteCenturion

I am your Father
It's only a marginal cost increase if all your wheels are suitable. If not, then it becomes a significant cost increase. The benefits of an extra gear have been massively over-sold anyway.
I have two bikes with 10 speed that I will be keeping & so it's just a case of can I utilise one wheeset for the new frame with new 11 speed group set, all wheels get used in rotation *pardon the pun* so nothing lost.

If I can avoid buying an 11 speed specific wheel set then it's a bonus.

ayceejay

Guru
Are you doing this? With what equipment? Because it might work, but I doubt it'll be perfect. And what's the point in getting a fancy 11sp groupset if you can't set it up to be perfect?
I agree with the second part winjim but the OP is trying a different tack because he already has a shed load of wheels.
I have an 11 speed Sram set up on my crosser and the 10 speed cassette on the spare wheels (Vision Arenberg) work just fine.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I agree with the second part winjim but the OP is trying a different tack because he already has a shed load of wheels.
I have an 11 speed Sram set up on my crosser and the 10 speed cassette on the spare wheels (Vision Arenberg) work just fine.
That's a different system then. SRAM use the same sprocket pitch on their 10 and 11 speed cassettes. Shimano have changed theirs. Gone are the days of absolute SRAM/Shimano cassette compatibility.

JMAG

Über Member
I upgraded from my old 8 speed Sora to 11 speed 105 only to find my old Scirocco wheels were limited to 10 speed shimano cassette. I took out the 14t sprocket which took the cassette from
11-12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-25-28
to
11-12-13-15-17-19-21-23-25-28

Another option would be to grind the stops on the freehub back a bit with a file or dremel. It would need 1.85mm taking off to fit an 11 speed cassette and could still be used with a 10 speed bike/cassette by using a 1.85mm spacer.

Top Bottom