10 Things I've learned so far...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScotiaLass

Guru
1. When searching for a small zipped bag to carry some spares inside your backpack, do NOT, under any
circumstances, Google anything with the word 'pouch' in it.

2. The use of hand signals is preferable to screaming to your riding partner, 'Dead duck, dead duck!' as you
suddenly swerve across the towpath.

3. Removing cycle undershorts which are rubbing, using the 'bra under t-shirt' method is fine. Doing this
whilst being watched by a barge full of people, is not.

4. Sarcasm IS the lowest form of wit. You are better not saying anything (when non-riding, joe public,
comments about the size of the hill you've just cycled up), especially when you are hanging over the
handlebars, breathing like a steam train.

5. Do not ask your LBS mechanic when you should come back for your next 'tweaking'. Phrase it another
way.

6. When a cute (uniformed) man, gives way to you to allow you to continue up a hill, it's probably best not to
grin like a madman and stand up on the pedals to show him your 'bootay'. This is called bike tarting and
should be refrained from wherever possible.

7. Shouting expletives when reacting to a close pass DOES make you feel better. As that well known
sporting manufacturer says, 'Just Do It'!

8. If in doubt, do not just use any tool that looks like it will fit. It won't, and there will be tears.

9. When passing pedestrians on a towpath and you have no bell, it is best to call out 'Passing on your
right/left'
. Not 'ding-ding-ding!'

10.Expressing your happy self in the form of song/interpretive dance whilst cycling, is not recommended.
Whilst you can see that no-one is in front of you, the same cannot be said for your rear!

Last edited:

stephec

Legendary Member
3, 6, and 10, pictures or it didn't happen.

Are you posting on your phone in the middle of a ride? Tut tut!

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
@ScotiaLass is an expert at bike tarting, and watching men in uniform.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
1. When searching for a small zipped bag to carry some spares inside your backpack, do NOT, under any
circumstances, Google anything with the word 'pouch' in it.

Well, I nearly became a 'Kangaroo' if its the 'internal, pouch' you are referring too!! :giggle:

2. The use of hand signals is preferable to screaming to your riding partner, 'Dead duck, dead duck!' as you
suddenly swerve across the towpath.

Although its usually a lot more fun not to say anything and then laugh manically when you hear the result as they ride straight through it....

6. When a cute (uniformed) man, gives way to you to allow you to continue up a hill, it's probably best not to
grin like a madman and stand up on the pedals to show him your 'bootay'. This is called bike tarting and
should be refrained from wherever possible.

Why?? It makes a lot of people (including myself) happy and should be wholeheartedly encouraged at almost every level!! :whistle:

10.Expressing your happy self in the form of song/interpretive dance whilst cycling, is not recommended.
Whilst you can see that no-one is in front of you, the same cannot be said for your rear!

I think most of us have been there in one form or another at at least one point!!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
:stop: I refer to number 6 on the list. Men can be bike tarts too ya know! :biggrin:

Why do you think one of my main pieces of cycling advice is to 'Follow the bum in front'?? :laugh:

I'll take a look at almost everything* at least once.... :whistle:

* - Old/fat people and/or skidmarks/ other general ugliness excepted of course..... Except... You have to look to see it in the first place....

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
You forgot the main one SC, the one everyone, and I mean everyone does..............when trying to look cool coming up to a junction and you are using clipless pedals for, probably the first time..........:thumbsup:

One of the reasons why I will never wear clipless. I can look stupid enough, without falling over from a clipless moment.

Top Bottom