100% 'Deposit' - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
SJS Cycles In Bridgewater will be keen to help. :okay:
The OP is in Norwich though and would appear to wish to buy locally?

If that's more important than earning a couple of quid in interest, buy from CR (check whether you could get 10% off by ordering in store with British Cycling membership though...)
Have you spoken to the manager of the shop, personal interaction is better than email :smile:

Order on a credit card at the right time of the month, you won't have to pay for it for a month or so anyhow. I'd want to for that amount in order to get the consumer protection in case of issues, however unlikely

Last edited:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
So you won’t be loosing any interest.

Nor indeed losing any. :smile:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I really cannot see the problem with paying for it upfront, my orders never go out unless the customers had an agreed account or the goods have been paid for. I would ask the shop to clarify the position but would have no worries using a credit card to pay for it.
But that's credit risk you're talking about which is quite different. Once a customer has the product and hasn't paid, you're at risk

Deposits are to offset the risk that the purchaser never purchases it and you're left with the product. As I said, about half the retail would probably cover that risk

icowden

Veteran
However he also said they would require a 100% non-refundable deposit :eek:

There is no such thing as a 100% non refundable deposit. That is payment upfront.
Which? has a useful article about non-refundable deposits:-

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/can-i-claim-back-a-non-refundable-deposit

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The pill would be easier to swallow if they asked for a 50% non refundable deposit. It would suggest a modicum of trust in the buyer.

screenman

Legendary Member
You would if the company you were dealing with went bust before completing your order. Ok if you paid by credit card, but not every one does or may not even have one.

I see that you dedited my post, to remove the bit about a credit card. I would never advise handing over a cash or debit card deposit.

Top Bottom