100 km ride from Hebden Bridge, Sat 17th March

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

trio25

Über Member
Away this weekend, shame as I fancy joining you lot.

That should be a nice ride Paul and Shaun, perfect on cross bikes, make sure you do the berms just off route 6.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Okay, folks, I've plotted the route. It's mostly on roads familiar to us now, but for a change we will go out the way that potsy and I did on our last ride in the snow - Hebden Bridge, Heptonstall Road, Lee Wood, Slack, Colden, Blackshaw Head, Long Causeway, Mereclough, Burnley, Fence, Padiham Heights, Sabden (i.e. the same route as the start of the Season of Mists audax except for taking the easier route through the woods to avoid the steeper climb through Heptonstall), Portfield, Spring Wood, Whalley, Mitton, Bashall Eaves, Kitchens, Waddington cafe stop (Country Kitchen), then the usual easier ride home - Bashall Town, Mitton, Whalley, Spring Wood , Portfield, Old Roman Road, Read, Padiham, Padiham Greenway, Rose Grove, A646 to Todmorden, Hebden Bridge - 102 kms (63 miles).

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

09:30 start seems to be a good compromise time, don't you think? Meet at Market Place car park, Hebden Bridge as usual, at 09:20.

Paul - note that we are not going Tod way this time so you will have to start with us in Hebden Bridge. Congratulations on making it up the climb from Oxenhope to Cock Hill coming back to HB at the weekend! Heptonstall Road will be another tester for you, though we will miss the top half and get a breather on the road through the wood.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The forecast has improved slightly - it is now suggesting that it will be cloudy, with the odd shower, but (hopefully) nothing too nasty. I think it will be pretty chilly though so I'll probably stick to winter kit for this one. I'm hoping to be able to shed the heavy jacket for the century ride on Apr 1st though!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

'heavy jacket' is that how we've to refer to the 'tyres' from now on?....:smile:
I think that particular 'heavy jacket' will be around for a bit longer. Having said that, I ended up watching the final of The Biggest Loser a couple of nights ago and the winner had lost 40% of his body weight in 24 weeks, equating to 12 stone 12 pounds. A pretty impressive reminder of what is possible with hard work! He started off over double my weight so he was able to lose double what I'd be able to per week, but he also lost 4 times as much as I want to. In theory, I could lose my 3 stone of flab in 12 weeks if I really got stuck in. I've done it before so I know it is possible! Certainly very doable in 4 months.

Steve H

Large Member
Just had a quick look at the weather for tomorrow. I think the morning is going to be better than the afternoon. May see a bit of the sun first thing with the likelihood of showers steadily increasing throughout the day.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Oh well; fingers crossed that we somehow miss the worst of any rain. Let it pour while we are in the cafe and then dry up!

I've replaced my front brake blocks and adjusted the angle of the holders to (hopefully) fix the worrying juddering that I was getting when braking on the forum ride the weekend before last.

I think I might do a warm-up on my stationary bike before coming out because that early climb up the Heptonstall Road is a pig with cold legs!

Don't forget - it's a 9:30 start this time!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Sounds like Colin's taking it seriously, warming up before the ride, I expect to see the improvements up the first hill :tongue:
I think tonight's alco-loading might cancel out any benefits of a warm-up! :whistle:

I imagine that with Steve recovering from his recent crash, Alun getting back to fitness after a broken leg and me, er, just fat and making excuses ... there should be plenty of competition for last place. You can fight it out with Paul up the first hill! :hello:

potsy

Rambler
I think tonight's alco-loading might cancel out any benefits of a warm-up! :whistle:

I imagine that with Steve recovering from his recent crash, Alun getting back to fitness after a broken leg and me, er, just fat and making excuses ... there should be plenty of competition for last place. You can fight it out with Paul up the first hill! :hello:

No chance, I'm in recovery mode after another full weeks commuting, and I promised to keep Al company :whistle:

Top Bottom