100 mile goal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mummy3monkeys

Mummy3monkeys

You'll be fine just take your time at the start You and me seem to join about the same time and have had similar targets my first 100 is penciled in for this month and my longest ride is 66 to date but I am fairly confident it's doable . Good luck with yours
Good luck to you too, and thank you.

OP
OP
Mummy3monkeys

Mummy3monkeys

Are you riding around Norfolk? Any time limit? A group of us did Lynn-Norwich-Lynn 100 last weekend and I might be doing a Lynn- Holland-Lynn 100 next month. Take it steady and it'll soon be done :-)
I am yes @mjray NNUH Tour Sportive, circular route from the Norfolk & Norwich Hospital. No time limit, so I reckon about 7-8hrs.

13 rider

Guru
Mines done 100.7 at 14.9 mph . jumped from 68 miles to the century hardest bit was slowing myself down after 4 house I was averaging 16.1 mph .last 20 miles were into a headwind and hilly killing the average . Didn't really struggle with the distance until the nineties . Good luck with yours

OP
OP
Mummy3monkeys

Mummy3monkeys

Thank you. Slightly worried as starting to develop a cold, want to be 100% on Sunday, so typical. I have a lot riding on this (no pun intended) currently at £260 sponsorship through justgiving, with another 100 pledged if I can collect it after. I don't want to let anyone down, or myself, as been looking forward to (dreading?)this for the last year, and what I have been working towards.

OP
OP
Mummy3monkeys

Mummy3monkeys

Well, I did it, such an achievement, so quite proud of myself. Had a couple of really tough spots at mile 75, then again at 95. But all the words of encouragement of friends, colleagues and everyone on here helped. I also tried to visualise my Dad, who I know if he could would be very proud of me, and he was the main reason I was doing it. Plus my nearly £400 sponsorship for the Alzheimer's society helped me along too. 7.5 hrs it took us, and everything hurt this morning, but now easing off a bit. Final distance: 102.9 miles.:bicycle:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Well done. You just know you want to come to Lynnsport and do our back-to-basics 100 on Saturday as a lap of honour... ;)

OP
OP
Mummy3monkeys

Mummy3monkeys

Anyone else experienced this, or is it just coincidence as I thought out was, but hubby thinks otherwise.
After the 100 miles on Sunday, my aches and pains had gone away by Tuesday morning.started feeling really fluey yesterday, temp and aching everywhere, with a bit of dodgy stomach and no appetite. I have been hot and cold and relegated to bed as can barely move.
Feeling sorry for myself as I don't do ill.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
After the 100 miles on Sunday, my aches and pains had gone away by Tuesday morning.started feeling really fluey yesterday, temp and aching everywhere, with a bit of dodgy stomach and no appetite.
I think it's basically coincidence but the exertion of 100 miles may have left you open to whatever virus you encountered... <rant>and my dislike of sportives means I'll point the finger at the hygiene of the other participants. I've seen some truly disgusting habits on them, such as wiping noses onto gloves/mitts (because it's faster not to break one's aero tuck to grab a tissue from the jersey pocket?) and then not washing one's hands (or removing gloves sometimes!) before handling open food at the feed stations (because that's maybe a minute or two faster over the event :rolleyes:). I think I'm right in saying that all of Leonard Cheshire Disability's sportive food stops have individually wrapped portions, but some other local ones haven't. (I no longer do sportives for that and other reasons, but I still sometimes pass their feed stops.)</rant>

How were the feed stops on the NNUH sportive? I'd hope a hospital event would have good hygiene.

Get well soon, either way.

Not me. Coincidence I suspect. Hard luck - but the more you cycle, the fitter you get, and the quicker you recover. Well done on the century btw.

Edit, @mjray could have a point! I normally only eat what I take with me as I know what's in it and where it's been, and experience tells me I know it'll get me round the trip - so I don't need external support. Other than a cup of tea!

Top Bottom