100 mile ride for a beginner.....please help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Didn't know you could train on a hybrid. And I wouldn't be going up cat 3s on one either.
Ive done a cat2 on a hybrid and a mountain bike with slicks, no problem at all.

Bit of a strange comment to make jason

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
YI to u can train on anything, surely?
And why not Cat 3s?
You can, in the same way a square peg can be hammered into a round hole.
Sorry, think I'm a road snob. OP, put drop bars and stis on it! Be faster that way

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi @MJ Link and :welcome:.

Talk about jumping in at the deep end.:eek: The good news is that with the gearing you've got (Giant website shows a 26 tooth front, 34 tooth rear as your lowest) you should be able to wind your way up any of the hills you encounter.

My advice would be to deliberately pace yourself slower than you might usually and just enjoy the ride. I'll put in another vote for flapjacks for energy - they were great on my first 100 miler (and any other long ride if it comes to that).

Something else I've found good is a set of bar ends as seen on my bike in this photo:
DSC01695.JPG

They give a better choice of hand positions compared to a basic flat bar which helps a lot for long distance comfort and climbing.

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
Not everybody wants to ride head down arse up jason, some people just want to enjoy a nice cycle ride in comfort.

Please dont put the OP down for what he rides.
100miles on a flat bar for an untrained guy is going to be neither nice, nor comfortable.
don't misconstrew my words.

Bar ends are a good idea though. So is getting used to drinking as much water as you can and eating high carb low salt low fat low protein.

If I was in your shoes OP. I would personally be doing hills and lots of hard riding in the short training time you have. Being fully prepared to burn out after a short period without the time to ride up mileage.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
100miles on a flat bar for an untrained guy is going to be neither nice, nor comfortable.
don't misconstrew my words.

Bar ends are a good idea though. So is getting used to drinking as much water as you can and eating high carb low salt low fat low protein.

If I was in your shoes OP. I would personally be doing hills and lots of hard riding in the short training time you have. Being fully prepared to burn out after a short period without the time to ride up mileage.
Ive seen and talked to a lot of people that have toured around the world on a flat barred road bike, without bar ends. They seemed pretty comfortable and happy to do so.

Just give the OP advice that he asked for training wise, but just dont advise on what bike he should or shouldn't ride.

Each to his own and all that malarky

RhythMick

Über Member
Well done for committing - there's no better way to get the miles in than just committing to do it and get on with it.

I did my first century last year. I could have trained harder and been fitter but to be honest just allow plenty of time, enjoy it, ride with a group if you can. Water and nutrition, drink before you feel thirsty, take jelly babies but don't overdo it... I use two per 30 minutes as a rough guide. YMMV.

Between now and the event I'd try and get out every day you can even if it's only 10 miles. Push harder in training, then pace yourself slower on the day, make it more of a social ride. I think you will be surprised when you get to 60 miles how good you'll feel.

Hi All,

I am embarking on a 100 mile bike ride on the 7th of June as part of a charity event my work are organising.

I joined rather late so done have much time for training. So far I have completed a 12 mile ride and then a 27 mile ride the following day. The later took 2 hrs & 2 minutes. Not bad I think after not cycling since I was about 11.

I don't have any spare weekends to train so I'm after some tips on how I shuld approach evening training from 18:30 onwards and if also if anyone has any tips on equipment I can use that will help me get through my 100 miles.

I'm doing the ride on a Giant Roam 2 hybrid, and will soon be purchasing some much needed cycle shorts, but is there anything else that will help?

The ride is from Bristol, across in to wales and back again for anyone that is interested.

And lastly and cheekily if anyone would like to sponsor me to help me get through the event then you can do so by visiting justgiving.com/antony-collett1 :smile:

Thanks in advance for any help and advice that can be offered

gavgav

Guru
Hi All,

I am embarking on a 100 mile bike ride on the 7th of June as part of a charity event my work are organising.

I joined rather late so done have much time for training. So far I have completed a 12 mile ride and then a 27 mile ride the following day. The later took 2 hrs & 2 minutes. Not bad I think after not cycling since I was about 11.

I don't have any spare weekends to train so I'm after some tips on how I shuld approach evening training from 18:30 onwards and if also if anyone has any tips on equipment I can use that will help me get through my 100 miles.

I'm doing the ride on a Giant Roam 2 hybrid, and will soon be purchasing some much needed cycle shorts, but is there anything else that will help?

The ride is from Bristol, across in to wales and back again for anyone that is interested.

And lastly and cheekily if anyone would like to sponsor me to help me get through the event then you can do so by visiting justgiving.com/antony-collett1 :smile:

Thanks in advance for any help and advice that can be offered
All the best. That's one heck of a jump in 2 weeks!! I've been training for 5 months for a 50 mile ride in June. Up to 41 miles now, but the jump from 30 to 40 has even been quite tough. Done 615 miles in total and so I would just say get out and ride as much as you can and you need to do some long rides ASAP

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
Reckon your youth will get you around.^_^
Night before the ride have a good feed, morning of ride have a good breakfast.
Take plenty of fluids (water based, not fizzy), & some easily digestible food to snack on.
Eat & drink when it is offered, you will need it.
Likely you will get a bit of cramp towards the end, stretch out your leg or get off & walk through it.
Best off luck.:bicycle:

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Youre so wrong you don't even know

Have to disagree with you, Jason - although don't want to start another 10 pages of bickering!

If the OP is determined to ride a hundred miler with very little training, then a hybrid is the ideal choice. Any aero disadvantages are more than made up for by the extra comfort offered by a hybrid.

8-10 hours spent bent over a road bike you're not used to riding is my idea of hell! :sad:

Top Bottom