100 mile ride for a beginner.....please help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaddyMcc

Über Member
Well done, I too am doing a century, next Saturday, but in Suffolk so I expect it to be less hilly than yours. Well done again, excellent stuff:cheers:

Morning all, crazy inexperienced rider here.

Firstly thanks for all the advice, now to fill you in on the events.

So training wise all I managed was a 12, 27, 20 & 12 before the big day........

Yesterday was the big day, to say Wales is hilly is an understatement to say the least!! So in total I rode 105 miles and spent 14 hours in the saddle!! There were a few times that I just didn't want to continue but I had a cycle companion with me the whole way pushing me and supporting me. (he has cycled 4500 from Bristol to Egypt in 100 days which I didn't know before, so I was in very good hands)

I didn't get off and push for a single inch of the ride. I was mainly fuelled by ISOGELS, ISO drinks and a lot absolute ton of water.

And we may have taken 14 hours but I can say we completed the course which a lot of other 100 milers who had been doing more training and have decent Road bikes only achieved 80.

To say I'm in pain right now would be an understatement, but boy was it worth it. (i wont be back in the saddle for a while with the sores I have haha)

So thanks once again for all the advice, and if there's anyone out there training for 100, my advice to you..... Just do it, it may hurt you may hit the wall but just keep on going!! The sense of achievement at the end is amazing!!

Justgiving.Com/antony-collett1 here is the link should anyone wish to donate a few pennies as well

****in hell! I think your inexperience of cycling compared to most people who have done this challenge is a testament to your endurance and will power. You have the eye of the tiger.

I am doing the essex 100 on sunday which will be my first century ride..I am no spring chicken as i turn 61 tomorrow but i feel pretty fit and i like a challenge.
I have done quite a few 50- 60 mile rides and when riding solo usually average between 15 - 16 mph but i don't think i could keep that pace up on a 100 miler and i am frightened if i set off too quickly i will blow up later on.
I am looking at maximum of eight hours which is a slow 12.5 mph average but finishing is more important to me rather than the time.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I am doing the essex 100 on sunday which will be my first century ride..I am no spring chicken as i turn 61 tomorrow but i feel pretty fit and i like a challenge.
I have done quite a few 50- 60 mile rides and when riding solo usually average between 15 - 16 mph but i don't think i could keep that pace up on a 100 miler and i am frightened if i set off too quickly i will blow up later on.
I am looking at maximum of eight hours which is a slow 12.5 mph average but finishing is more important to me rather than the time.

You should breeze it, esp if you follow your own advice to keep the pace down, and keep drinking and nibbling.

I don't usually ride as fast as that, and I would probably be blowing quite hard after 60 miles with you. In fact I would have probably given up trying keep up a 16mph average fairly early on, depending on the terrain.

But at "slow" (slow?) 12-13 mph I find 100 not too hard, and neither should you.

Coggy

Yesterday was the big day, to say Wales is hilly is an understatement to say the least!! So in total I rode 105 miles and spent 14 hours in the saddle!! There were a few times that I just didn't want to continue but I had a cycle companion with me the whole way pushing me and supporting me. (he has cycled 4500 from Bristol to Egypt in 100 days which I didn't know before, so I was in very good hands)

I didn't get off and push for a single inch of the ride. I was mainly fuelled by ISOGELS, ISO drinks and a lot absolute ton of water.

And we may have taken 14 hours but I can say we completed the course which a lot of other 100 milers who had been doing more training and have decent Road bikes only achieved 80.

To say I'm in pain right now would be an understatement, but boy was it worth it. (i wont be back in the saddle for a while with the sores I have haha)

So thanks once again for all the advice, and if there's anyone out there training for 100, my advice to you..... Just do it, it may hurt you may hit the wall but just keep on going!! The sense of achievement at the end is amazing!!

Justgiving.Com/antony-collett1 here is the link should anyone wish to donate a few pennies as well

Fantastic achievement. Well done.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member

You might surprise yourself. I personally find that by the time I have hit 50-60 miles I can maintain that pace to the end of the ride, though I agree with the not going out to quickly.

LSAF2011

Well done, inspiration to all that it can be done! Positive mental attitude!

Bike_Me

Congratulations and excellent work MJ! Good luck and all the best too, TheCentralScrutinizer!

Great tips and suggestions all round! I, myself am a beginner and will be taking on the RideLondon-Surrey in August with the Unicef team. It will be the first ever cycling event, and century ride. Completely nervous, and have absolutely no idea what to expect come the big day - but the attitude, advice and support being shown here is very encouraging, a positive note about the cycling community as a whole!

Top Bottom