100 mile ride for a beginner.....please help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MJ Link

Regular
Hi All,

I am embarking on a 100 mile bike ride on the 7th of June as part of a charity event my work are organising.

I joined rather late so done have much time for training. So far I have completed a 12 mile ride and then a 27 mile ride the following day. The later took 2 hrs & 2 minutes. Not bad I think after not cycling since I was about 11.

I don't have any spare weekends to train so I'm after some tips on how I shuld approach evening training from 18:30 onwards and if also if anyone has any tips on equipment I can use that will help me get through my 100 miles.

I'm doing the ride on a Giant Roam 2 hybrid, and will soon be purchasing some much needed cycle shorts, but is there anything else that will help?

The ride is from Bristol, across in to wales and back again for anyone that is interested.

And lastly and cheekily if anyone would like to sponsor me to help me get through the event then you can do so by visiting justgiving.com/antony-collett1 :smile:

Thanks in advance for any help and advice that can be offered

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Oh crickey, I admire the challenge you have ahead.

I assume you will be riding with others, they will help you along I am sure.

A hybrid bike is going to be heavier and slower and more effort than a road bike, but we can't change that

You don't need me to tell you that you only have two weeks to prepare.
Next week, you need to go out as much as you can for as long and far as you can but don't over do it.
Friday (tomorrow) 15 miles.

Monday, 15 miles
Tuesday 25 miles
Wednesday REST
Thursday 40 miles
Friday 15 miles

The week up to your ride, you should not do too much, you will be fatigued.
Do a couple of casual and enjoyable rides only.

Is there any way you can take the bike out for an hour at lunch time (this is what I do every day in preparation for long rides)

Another factor is, how old are you and how fit are you?
You might be the super light sporty type and will have no trouble.

I was a bit overweight and very unfit before I trained (for months) for the Prudential Ride 100, I made it round no worries.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Hi MJ - welcome to CycleChat!

Part of my trouble with long bike rides used to be a sore bum. Cycle shorts will help, but get in as much 'bum-on-the-saddle' time as you can before the event.

Make sure your bike is adjusted properly for you - if you didn't have too many aches and pains after your 27 miler, you may be OK. The main thing is not to have your saddle too low (if you sit on the saddle with your heel on a pedal you should just about be able to lock your knee straight - when cycling with the ball of your foot on the pedal this gives you just enough to not lock your knees while cycling).

Rest for 2 or 3 days before the event.

On the day, drink plenty, snack often (bananas, flapjacks and jelly babies are good). Are the organisers providing feed stations? If it's going to be a hot day, having two drink bottles could be useful.

What's the route? I live just north of Bristol, so it might be a route I could use one day.

(The Justgiving page says 30 miles ???)

OP
OP
MJ Link

MJ Link

Regular
There in all about 150 riders cycling for varying charities. The team I am cycling with are mainly doing the 30 miler apart from me and my director who are doing the 100 miles with the majority of others.

There are three routes 30, 50 & 100 so people can choose what they feel comfortable doing. I have crazily gone for the 100, unfortunately the just giving page has been set for the majority of the team.

There are loads of supporters from within the company who are at rest stops throughout the route to help people fill water bottles and fuel up with fruit etc. Its the third year of the event and if all the riders raise a total of 15k then we will have reached the 80k mark over the last three years.

Unfortunately im not available to ride tomorrow or Monday as I'm also in a marching band based in kent so will be travelling down and rehearsing for three days this weekend. I shall also be rehearsing for the day in Kent on the Sunday right after the ride.

The daily plan looks very helpful, so thanks for that will just readjust it all by a day and start it on the Tuesday.

Bike position wise is spot on got loads of help from the people in Giant where I got the bike from to help me set it all up correctly.

Not in too much pain after last night but definitely have a sore backside!! :smile: I will try and get a link to the ride route posted up shortly for any that are interested in following it for their own leisure.

Thanks for your help so far people

OP
OP
MJ Link

MJ Link

Regular
I'm 25 and fairly slim and not too unfit, rather surprised myself after the last two days what I managed to achieve already

OP
OP
MJ Link

MJ Link

Regular
ATTACH]
2lc2o41.png

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Hmm - wiggly! (I guess that's so all three rides can be in the same area...?)
Good luck with it! Good to see you've got most of the hills out of the way in the first half of the route.
Let us know how you get on (I might sponsor you if you make it!) :thumbsup:

Last bit of advice - don't go too fast at the beginning - pace yourself. And if your director is a more experienced cyclist/more used to longer distances, try to tuck in behind him and save some of your energy.

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
I would say make sure all your kit is tried and tested beforehand. A 100 mile ride is not the time to find out your new padded shorts are horrendously uncomfortable after 20 miles!
Good luck with it, eat properly and pace yourself and you'll do it!

davdandy

Take two bottles and eat often,flapjacks i tend to use but eat.If you don't you will bonk,you don't know when it will happen,its happens and the rest of your day will be hell when it arrives so avoid this but drinking plenty fluids and eating every hour.Start off slower than normal would be wise as you wont burn out too easily.

Personally i haven't done the 100 miler myself,that's my personal goal for this year,but i have done 60 and 70 mile runs and have experienced the bonking,it is hell so do everyone you can to avoid it.It happened once,it wont happen twice.

Brommyboy

Über Member
It's the legs that are important, not the kit! Do not start off at full speed, you will just burn yourself out. Ride steadily the whole time, pacing yourself well. Make sure the bars and saddle are in the best places for you, as you can expect to take 8-10 hours to finish. Saddle soreness is a real risk. If you get cramp in the leg, just get off and walk for a while before remounting.

Boon 51

Veteran
Take it as easy as you can you will get round, plenty of food and drink and warm clothing?
PS.. Take a mobile with you and £10 or £20 pound note.. just in case of any mishap's..
Good luck.. :smile:

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
Didn't know you could train on a hybrid. And I wouldn't be going up cat 3s on one either.

Top Bottom