100 mile ride for a beginner.....please help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Youre so wrong you don't even know
I've done it, so I know. Is it quick or easy, no. But the OP needs help with his current situation using the bike at his disposal. Narrower tires, a trekking bar may be helpful. A different bike may be better for this situation, but that's not what the OP needs at this late date. And getting used to drop bars and STIs may take too long. @MJ Link , keep hydrated, keep fed, and make the most out of this ride. It looks like a very good time, and a proper challenge.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
First off good luck!

Take heed of all the wise words about liquids and calories. You'll be using the equivalent of a couple of DAYS of regular calorie intake. On anything over 50 miles or if it's hot, I'll usually take at least one bottle of proper powder mix energy drink (SIS, High5 etc etc) instead of plain water to give that extra bit of energy and help with any cramp. Drink early and often, not just when you start to feel thirsty, even if it's cool or raining.

Next, you might feel a little self conscious about Lycra, but as well as a bit of padding you'll find that anything baggy or loose around the groin could cause chafing. Chafing is bad. Also, consider getting a pair of padded cycling gloves. Although you'll have the benefit of front suspension, it's surprising how much vibration and pressure your hands and wrists have to deal with on a long ride.

150 riders in total doesn't sound like a big event, so I' guessing mechanical support on route will be limited. Even if it's good, remember to take a couple of spare inner tubes (you can take a puncture repair kit as a final backup, but they're faff on a ride) and some decent tyre levers. If you haven't changed a tube in a while, find a vid on YouTube and have a quick practice. A cycle multitool/chain tool might be useful, but only if you're confident in making a few basic repairs.

Although it sounds like I've given you a shopping list, if you've got a Decathlon nearby you could pick up serviceable kit for not very much, or go online to big cycle sites like wiggle or chain reaction and check out their own brand stuff. A decent local bike shop (LBS) should give you decent advice and let you try stuff on, but is likely to be more expensive.

After all that, don't overload with rucksacks and crap, especially on a lumpy ride. Watch the weather forecasts from a few days before to get a feel for the weather so you don't end up carrying or wearing too much on the day - this is more common than you'd believe. Buy, borrow or steal a saddle bag for what you need and make your supporters have the rest ready when you need it at the stops.

Sorry - a bit of an essay! Make sure you let us know how you get on.

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
And better to be under trained and have fresh legs than ravaged and a bit fitter. Take 3-5 days totally off the bike right before the ride. Doing just that will make it more enjoyable. Totally smash yourself until then but rest before

OP
OP
MJ Link

MJ Link

Regular
Morning all, crazy inexperienced rider here.

Firstly thanks for all the advice, now to fill you in on the events.

So training wise all I managed was a 12, 27, 20 & 12 before the big day........

Yesterday was the big day, to say Wales is hilly is an understatement to say the least!! So in total I rode 105 miles and spent 14 hours in the saddle!! There were a few times that I just didn't want to continue but I had a cycle companion with me the whole way pushing me and supporting me. (he has cycled 4500 from Bristol to Egypt in 100 days which I didn't know before, so I was in very good hands)

I didn't get off and push for a single inch of the ride. I was mainly fuelled by ISOGELS, ISO drinks and a lot absolute ton of water.

And we may have taken 14 hours but I can say we completed the course which a lot of other 100 milers who had been doing more training and have decent Road bikes only achieved 80.

To say I'm in pain right now would be an understatement, but boy was it worth it. (i wont be back in the saddle for a while with the sores I have haha)

So thanks once again for all the advice, and if there's anyone out there training for 100, my advice to you..... Just do it, it may hurt you may hit the wall but just keep on going!! The sense of achievement at the end is amazing!!

Justgiving.Com/antony-collett1 here is the link should anyone wish to donate a few pennies as well

Big Nick

Fantastic effort MJ!

I'm a relative novice myself but it seems like a lot of long distance riding involves mindset, as long as you have a reasonable level of fitness, so it sounds like your determination won the day

After doing 100 miles every ride will be easy from now on!!!!

moo

I'd say 14 hours in the saddle is more impressive than the 100 miles :smile: Grats.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Morning all, crazy inexperienced rider here.

Firstly thanks for all the advice, now to fill you in on the events.

So training wise all I managed was a 12, 27, 20 & 12 before the big day........

Yesterday was the big day, to say Wales is hilly is an understatement to say the least!! So in total I rode 105 miles and spent 14 hours in the saddle!! There were a few times that I just didn't want to continue but I had a cycle companion with me the whole way pushing me and supporting me. (he has cycled 4500 from Bristol to Egypt in 100 days which I didn't know before, so I was in very good hands)

I didn't get off and push for a single inch of the ride. I was mainly fuelled by ISOGELS, ISO drinks and a lot absolute ton of water.

And we may have taken 14 hours but I can say we completed the course which a lot of other 100 milers who had been doing more training and have decent Road bikes only achieved 80.

To say I'm in pain right now would be an understatement, but boy was it worth it. (i wont be back in the saddle for a while with the sores I have haha)

So thanks once again for all the advice, and if there's anyone out there training for 100, my advice to you..... Just do it, it may hurt you may hit the wall but just keep on going!! The sense of achievement at the end is amazing!!

Justgiving.Com/antony-collett1 here is the link should anyone wish to donate a few pennies as well
Chapeau!

Top Bottom