100 mile ride training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

endoman

Thinking of doing 100 miler mid August in York, then the Manchester 100 in Sept.
Currently been riding for 5 weeks, longest = 38 miles about 14 mph on my hybrid. Doing about 100 miles a week. 30 mile round trip commute couple of days a week, can do this more, long one at weekend, and family ride as well

Any advice on training? Will be doing it with a mate who is looking to do a two week charity ride october of about 70 miles a day.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I reckon that at your current rate of progress, you'd probably be fine just doing what you are already doing!

Maybe it would be a good idea to gradually increase the length of your longest ride first though. Have a go at a 50 miler. If that goes okay, try a metric century. (100 kms = 62 miles.)

The 100 km ride will tell you what you need to know. If you are comfortable with 100 km then you will be able to cope with 100 miles, providing that you eat and drink enough and don't ride stupidly fast for the first 50 miles.

I drink energy drinks on long rides and top up the calorie intake with food but some people I know just drink water and eat more.

If you really struggle on the 100 km, then you need to build up more slowly.

Comfort on the bike is one of the biggest issues on longer rides. That's what limits me, not my legs. Make sure you wear good shorts and that your saddle suits you. Your shoes should be a comfortable fit and your bike should be set up properly to suit you.

OP
OP
endoman

endoman

Cheers Colin, sounds good.

Mate has been given a Look 586 with SRAM stuff for his ride, sadly I'll have to buy my own road bike.

Will try a 50 as next long ride, felt fine at end of last 38.

Top Bottom